Effect of a research thesis master's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sha15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys;

I had a 3.91 GPA with a 3.83 science GPA in undergrad in biology; minor in chemistry. I started a master's program in pharmaceutical science since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I'll have this degree and at least 1, maybe 2 publications before I complete. My GPA through four classes here has been 3.54. My extracurricular stuff is i'd say above average and my personal statement definitely won't hurt me. I took the MCAT last week and I am guessing i made in the low 30 range.

I am curious of how competitive the masters program will make me considering most people don't do classical research graduate degrees before medical school. I won't have a publication most likely on my application but probably will later in the year. Do you think I would be competitive for mid level MD schools outside of my home state?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The MS helps you due to the research (and possibly teaching) opportunities gained. A MS GPA of 3.54 wouldn't be looked at as helpful as masters programs are widely assumed to have grade inflation by adcomms. Fortunately, however, most med schools judge one by undergrade GPA instead. Having the masters is more likely to be helpful for itself when you apply to residency programs.

With your excellent uGPA, if you have a strong MCAT score, you may well be a good candidate for mid-range-selective MD programs, presuming usual and customary ECs, supportive LORs, intriguing PS, and good interview skills.