Effect of delaying Step 1 on residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangitbobbay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question I was hoping to get some insight on. I have completed two years of medical school and was planning on taking Step 1 last summer along with the rest of my class. Right before dedicated period, my mom got diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer. This took a toll on my focus and I got into poor sleeping habits and a bad mental state for a while. I also took some time away from studying initially to spend with her during her surgery and subsequent chemo. While I was technically studying during this time, I was not studying effectively. My practice scores were not passing so I delayed Step 1, hoping to take it in the fall. This poor sleep/study schedule continued into the fall and I kept delaying Step 1, as the practice scores were not in passing range. This continued until I took a review course in January, got on a better sleep and study schedule, and saw a significant jump in score.

That course ended in February and my scores were in the high 190s-low 200s at that time. Having already been pushed into the next graduating class for this delay, I figured it would be worth it to keep reviewing the material in hopes that my score may improve. This brings me to now, March, with practice scores in the 220 ballpark and preparing to take the exam in a few weeks.

My question is, how much of a red flag will this long of a delay be on my residency applications? I know it is important to account for any gaps and am wondering how bad this looks. I have read a good many threads on SDN about students planning on taking a full year LOA for various reasons and then doing so, but have not come across one where the student was getting practice scores indicating a high risk of failure and delayed on that premise. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The delayed graduation year will be a small red flag, but you'll have the opportunity to explain that you took a LOA for your mothers breast cancer. Not a big deal.

The step 1 delay won't even be noticed. Not even a pink flag. Schools vary on when they end 2nd year/start 3rd year, and the timing of the test varies along with it. As long as you stay within your school policy and have it passed in time to do all your clinical rotations on your new schedule, no one will care.

Reactions: 1 users
The delayed graduation year will be a small red flag, but you'll have the opportunity to explain that you took a LOA for your mothers breast cancer. Not a big deal.

The step 1 delay won't even be noticed. Not even a pink flag. Schools vary on when they end 2nd year/start 3rd year, and the timing of the test varies along with it. As long as you stay within your school policy and have it passed in time to do all your clinical rotations on your new schedule, no one will care.

Thanks very much for your response.

Ditto Raryn's response.

Although I would point out to you, that lots of students delay Step 1 purely for concern of not passing.

However in your case that is not the issue and the rest of what Raryn says applies to you

Ditto Raryn's response.

Although I would point out to you, that lots of students delay Step 1 purely for concern of not passing.

However in your case that is not the issue and the rest of what Raryn says applies to you

Thank you for the reply and insight. For those students that do delay Step 1 purely for concern of passing, do they tend to have any trouble matching (assuming they pass the exam)?