Effect of Gap Year on Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Current US Allopathic senior applying to Neuro residencies. 218 Step 1 (1st attempt). Passed Step 2 CS (1st attempt), haven't taken Step 2 CK yet.

My situation for the gap year (between M2 and M3) is that I planned on doing an MD/PhD, got a LoA from the med school to do it, and was dropped from the PhD program because I didn't take the Step 1 in time (I had to get my score back by the time the PhD started, which I received 2 weeks after the semester would have started for me). This was unexpected and I couldn't cancel the LoA. I did try to do research on a voluntary basis but had to take a night job stocking shelves at a retail store and couldn't do research during daytime for that reason.

I didn't mention what exactly I did during the gap year as I have here, maybe I should have. So far I've only gotten 3 interview invites, applied to 38 places (and not many academic powerhouses). I am more than suspicious that my gap year has a lot to do with it.

Is there some way I can give the programs some more details about the gap year, even though I already submitted my ERAS? Advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your board scores are fine for Neurology - Step 2CK is also only needed by rank list. According the charting the outcomes - match rate for 218 Step 1 is pretty high. If you have no class failures - then your gap year is most likely the issue at hand. Why did you not explain it in your personal statement or ERAs? Unexplained LoA is a huge red flag.

Also how many Neuro LoRs do you have? How strong are they?

Your board scores are fine for Neurology - Step 2CK is also only needed by rank list. According the charting the outcomes - match rate for 218 Step 1 is pretty high. If you have no class failures - then your gap year is most likely the issue at hand. Why did you not explain it in your personal statement or ERAs? Unexplained LoA is a huge red flag.

Also how many Neuro LoRs do you have? How strong are they?

I have 2 letters from Neurologists, 1 of them is quite strong (I've heard from a faculty who interviewed me), and I'm not sure about the other but the neurologist offered to write me one without me asking so I think it's probably good. The third is from a neurosurgeon who is the neurology clerkship director and let me see the letter even though I waived my right to, and it's good.

There was a spot in ERAS to explain the gap so I didn't think I needed to put it in the PS. Do programs know this?

Should I submit another personal statement with this explanation? Email the programs to let them know?

Thanks.

If you explained your gap on ERAs then I dont know why you only have 3 invites - especially as AMG with decent board scores.

I have not one, but 2 LoAs delaying my graduation by a year and I have well over 20 II applying to less than 30 programs. My list is also quite top heavy.

Something is definitely wrong and I urge you to make an appointment with your advisor about this.

If you explained your gap on ERAs then I dont know why you only have 3 invites - especially as AMG with decent board scores.

I have not one, but 2 LoAs delaying my graduation by a year and I have well over 20 II applying to less than 30 programs. My list is also quite top heavy.

Something is definitely wrong and I urge you to make an appointment with your advisor about this.

Thanks for your advice, I have been emailing her asking for help. Dunno if it matters much, but I did no volunteering or really any extracurriculars outside of research in the first two years.

How did you do on Step 1?

EDIT: ONE MORE THING.....I just found out I passed CS first attempt a couple days ago. The programs did not have this information previously, and I put an order in an hour or two ago to update my transcript to indicate that I passed it. How much does this matter, most likely?

Last edited: