Effect of IA on T20s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abdum

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a minor alcohol policy IA sophomore year. Aside from this, I have a strong application (4.0/522), with enough meaningful experiences to write about. That being said, my goal has always been to land a top school, and I'm worried the IA may significant hurt my chances, although I may just be neurotic. For example, I've heard rumors that UCLA screens out applications with IA's.

I understand that, in the grand scheme of things, the IA will not keep me out of most schools, but are top schools more stringent? (i.e. should I be taking this into account and shifting my school list?)

Thank you! Any insight would help calm the nerves down a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

This is like the best IA to have - easily explainable and adcoms will get it.

It's theoretically possible that some places may not like to see it, but in an otherwise good applicant I think it can be pretty easily overlooked. This would apply for pretty much all schools, not only top 20s.

If you are nervous about being too top heavy, you can always add a few more less competitive schools.

Reactions: 4 users
But remember that applying to med school is a crapshoot in general and even more so for the T20 with or without any IA. So develop a broad list of schools you would be happy attending if accepted. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I have a minor alcohol policy IA sophomore year. Aside from this, I have a strong application (4.0/522), with enough meaningful experiences to write about. That being said, my goal has always been to land a top school, and I'm worried the IA may significant hurt my chances, although I may just be neurotic. For example, I've heard rumors that UCLA screens out applications with IA's.

I understand that, in the grand scheme of things, the IA will not keep me out of most schools, but are top schools more stringent? (i.e. should I be taking this into account and shifting my school list?)

Adcom members even at the Really Top Schools were all young and stupid once too.

Your goal is to get into A medical school, not merely the top ones. Will you turn down Jefferson if that's your only admit?

Reactions: 3 users
Otherwise competitive applicants with minor alcohol IAs are accepted to T20s. This type of IA has a minimal impact at my school. Just make sure the rest of your record from here on out is squeeky clean. Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

You should include some programs outside the top 20 because it's so hard to get in . Your IA won't help anything, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker as long as you don't have more than one. As Goro says, admissions committee members were once young and stupid,.

Adcom members even at the Really Top Schools were all young and stupid once too.

Your goal is to get into A medical school, not merely the top ones. Will you turn down Jefferson if that's your only admit?
Maybe. What does their match list look like? 🤣

(Just kidding...)