• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

Effect of Medical School Ranking on Competitive Specialty Aspirations

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
  1. Pre-Medical
    I agree though - going into a med school that you already don't like for whatever reason isn't a good start, esp. when things get hard.

well actually in my first post i believe i did say that i WOULD be happy at these schools, especially the so-called "lower-tier" one. my CONCERN was if my med school choices mattered. but as far as liking the school, I've liked the school since forever.

D

deleted407021

i already said in a post above that my original post was too dramatically written and throughout the development of this thread i have elaborated on what i actually meant. i am willing and happy to do certain other fields of medicine. i have said this multiple times so far. do i strongly prefer dermatology bc of everything I've said? yes. would i be happy in IM + fellow or path? yes. i didnt say "OK", i said happy!!

so yes.
      But you have yet to demonstrate how and with what information you came to make such determinations. It's not required that you do, obviously, but it would certainly enlighten us as to how your decision making process works.

Reactions: 1 users
      About the Ads
      D

deleted407021

She has a crush on the dermatologist she shadowed.
        the OP is a definite female (or a gay male). I agree though - going into a med school that you already don't like for whatever reason isn't a good start, esp. when things get hard.
        lol This theory of your's explains your "omg wuz he lyk totes koot!?" post from a few minutes ago.

I'm getting a little SP vibe from OP, actually. But she had a thing for lawyers.

Reactions: 1 user

FFH

Arf medicine
        5+ Year Member
        Jun 2, 2014
        Park
        1. Medical Student
          well actually in my first post i believe i did say that i WOULD be happy at these schools, especially the so-called "lower-tier" one. my CONCERN was if my med school choices mattered. but as far as liking the school, I've liked the school since forever.

A guy propose to a girl
          "listen, I would be happy to marry you, especially that you are the ugly types. my CONCERN was if marrying ugly girl might affect my future sex life, but as far as liking you, I've liked you since forever."

Reactions: 3 users

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
          1. Pre-Medical
            Yes, but like you said, you would only be "glowing" :flame: if you matched into Derm, correct?

yes but who wouldn't be glowing if they did derm? i just like how fun the workday is for derm. (or at least what i perceive it to be) . there are other things that would be fun in IM or path, but less often. but I'D STILL BE HAPPY :) happiness is still good even if it isn't glowing. it's still happy and so few people are actually happy in this world :/

DermViser

10+ Year Member
            Apr 4, 2009
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              yes but who wouldn't be glowing if they did derm? i just like how fun the workday is for derm. (or at least what i perceive it to be) . there are other things that would be fun in IM or path, but less often. but I'D STILL BE HAPPY :) happiness is still good even if it isn't glowing. it's still happy and so few people are actually happy in this world :/
              Ok, I know this might shock you a little since your experience in this isn't too much, but not everyone wishes to do Derm. Something tells me you see Derm more like this:
              8a8b7f2a61a3b0acc2f4c152bc47b804.jpg

You wouldn't be the first, so whatever.

About the Ads
              D

deleted407021

Ok, I know this might shock you a little since your experience in this isn't too much, but not everyone wishes to do Derm. Something tells me you see Derm more like this:
                8a8b7f2a61a3b0acc2f4c152bc47b804.jpg

You wouldn't be the first, so whatever.
                All those comics are actually a humorous look into reality, both stereotyped and actual...if one has the sense of humor to take them for what they are.

About the Ads

WillburCobb

I am the pull out king
                Removed
                5+ Year Member
                Aug 20, 2010
                The grandest of eating utensils
                1. Medical Student
                  An extraterrestrial sociologist sent to study human responses to the social stimulus known colloquially as "trolling".
                  There were some Comm, Psych, and Soc profs. at my undergrad who studied why people troll and had special privelages/leniances on forums for various experiments as undescript users, so it always makes me wonder when I see stuff like this.

Lamel

7+ Year Member
                  Jan 17, 2013
                  1. Medical Student
                    Might as well ask what is in the title: how much does the name alone of a medical school help for competitive residencies? I'm not talking the secondary effects of a big name school (more resources, more funding etc.) but just pedigree alone. Since there are a lot of medical students and @DermViser in this thread they can likely offer a more accurate view.

I did.

I believe OP does not belong in med school at this point without further looking to the external world (OP has looked deep and hard into himself: done all the soul searching and all the financial and life style calculation) to see how he could contribute as a physician, what kind of health need of the society he can meet and what sacrifice he is willing to make before he commit to medicine.

As immature as OP sounds at some points in this thread, you really can't make that call since you yourself aren't in medical school yet either.

Edit: regardless, OP seems pretty trolly at this point.

Last edited:

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                    1. Pre-Medical
                      Might as well ask what is in the title: how much does the name alone of a medical school help for competitive residencies? I'm not talking the secondary effects of a big name school (more resources, more funding etc.) but just pedigree alone. Since there are a lot of medical students and @DermViser in this thread they can likely offer a more accurate view.

As immature as OP sounds at some points in this thread, you really can't make that call since you yourself aren't in medical school yet either.

thank you for making a rational statement and defending me. FFH has been attacking me all throughout this thread. also, thank you for keeping us on topic. check plus.

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                      1. Pre-Medical
                        it is VERY interesting that this resource exists but i can't help but but grimace at how inaccurate it is. intersectionality, people. not everyone is the same. you can't group people together in one category without considering everything else.

D

deleted407021

it is VERY interesting that this resource exists but i can't help but but grimace at how inaccurate it is. intersectionality, people. not everyone is the same. you can't group people together in one category without considering everything else.
                          Because you have provided us with so much useful information. -_-

Last edited by a moderator:

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                          Apr 4, 2009
                          1. Resident [Any Field]
                            This varies very much depending on the specific specialty in question. The name of a med school is more indicative of the opportunities and resources available there - although there are some publically funded med schools that have more opportunities available than some private schools (i.e. Rosalind Franklin). Pedigree alone does not entitle you to a residency just bc the filter is tighter there. Realize that a lot of medical school is putting different puzzle pieces together that gives the PD a good idea about your performance: preclinical grades (if your school does not have true P/F), Step scores, MS-3 clerkship grades, research publications, extracurriculars, etc.

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                            1. Pre-Medical
                              Let me make this clear: FFH has made some very valid points about you.

perhaps, but they have also been extremely rude and unnecessarily mean/unsupportive. doubting my intention or qualifications or genuine desire to enter medicine? meanwhile I'm over here minding my business asking a question and trying to figure out my career path and i'm not being mean at all and i receive such harsh words from some who is fronting like they know me.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                              Apr 4, 2009
                              1. Resident [Any Field]
                                Um, how is this resource inaccurate? It's not inaccurate just bc you say so.

About the Ads
                                D

deleted407021

You claim it is inaccurate. Against what standard do you make that statement? As far as I can tell, you're new here, so how can you have gained enough experience here to compare to your apparently vast amount of real world healthcare/med school experience to make that statement?

You literally have a DERMATOLOGIST giving you advice...very patiently, mind you.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                                  Apr 4, 2009
                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                    perhaps, but they have also been extremely rude and unnecessarily mean/unsupportive. doubting my intension or qualifications or genuine desire to enter medicine? meanwhile I'm over here minding my business asking a question and trying to figure out my career path and i'm not being mean at all and i receive such harsh words from some who is fronting like they know me.
                                    Just as an aside, if you are unable to take criticism (both constructive and unconstructive), MS-3 will be pure hell on wheels for you. Trust me. I'm saying this as good advice to take into consideration.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                                    Apr 4, 2009
                                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                                      You claim it is inaccurate. Against what standard do you make that statement? As far as I can tell, you're new here, so how can you have gained enough experience here to compare to your apparently vast amount of real world healthcare/med school experience to make that statement?

You literally have a DERMATOLOGIST giving you advice...very patiently, mind you.
                                      You have no idea - I think I'm getting an aneurysm. @PatsyStone was right, maybe this will help.
                                      Stoli_bottle_range.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Ace Khalifa

I am the definition of awesomeness
                                      Removed
                                      Jun 18, 2014
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        OP needs to grow much thicker skin. The overenflated ego and really weak ability to take negative criticism is so painfully laughable. OP won't even last long enough in med school to match Derm (read: fail at matching).

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                                        1. Pre-Medical
                                          I apologize. I didn't know that you were supporting the source or believed in it. In that case we will have to agree to disagree about it. i don't really support what is says bc of the way i view looking at communities or labeling people. you can't group people together like that and promote stereotypes of millenials.......that's why i don't think it's accurate. some parts are true, some aren't, some don't apply. most don't apply to my background. but interesting resource, and despite not liking what it says or the issues it perpetuates, i am glad to know if its existence and that things like this occur.

Lamel

7+ Year Member
                                          Jan 17, 2013
                                          1. Medical Student
                                            This varies very much depending on the specific specialty in question. The name of a med school is more indicative of the opportunities and resources available there - although there are some publically funded med schools that have more opportunities available than some private schools (i.e. Rosalind Franklin). Pedigree alone does not entitle you to a residency just bc the filter is tighter there. Realize that a lot of medical school is putting different puzzle pieces together that gives the PD a good idea about your performance: preclinical grades (if your school does not have true P/F), Step scores, MS-3 clerkship grades, research publications, extracurriculars, etc.

Thanks for the reply, it really is a difficult thing to understand fully honestly. The typical mantra is that where you go to undergrad doesn't matter too much, but from my experience in this cycle and seeing other applicants, the most successful ones have been the ones who have all the academic credentials AND good ECs AND go to a top school. Which is why I am trying to figure out if it is a similar case for medical schools as well, especially if one aspires for academic med.

FFH

Arf medicine
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Jun 2, 2014
                                            Park
                                            1. Medical Student
                                              Edit: regardless, OP seems pretty trolly at this point.
                                              Consider me speaking as a layman .
                                              When med school are selecting candidates to be my future doctors, they should (or at least try to) pick someone with strong altruistic motivations.
                                              Yeah, I agree the OP is likely a (rather successful) troll.

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                                              1. Pre-Medical
                                                Please don't judge my qualifications because you do not know me like that. And that's not what this post is about anyway. I'm not saying anywhere that I can't take negative criticism. What I am saying is that we should keep the posts here constructive and fun and NICE. and that is my plan for med school....to take negative criticism and teach people around me to be nice. you have to take people's feelings into account when you deal with people (or post on here). so i don't get why you folks are so quick to be soooo mean and negative. why not be supportive? constructive? why not bully? is there bullying in med school? is that what i should be getting ready for?
                                                OP needs to grow much thicker skin. The overenflated ego and really weak ability to take negative criticism is so painfully laughable. OP won't even last long enough in med school to match Derm (read: fail at matching).

D

deleted407021

I apologize. I didn't know that you were supporting the source or believed in it. In that case we will have to agree to disagree about it. i don't really support what is says bc of the way i view looking at communities or labeling people. you can't group people together like that and promote stereotypes of millenials.......that's why i don't think it's accurate. some parts are true, some aren't, some don't apply. most don't apply to my background. but interesting resource, and despite not liking what it says or the issues it perpetuates, i am glad to know if its existence and that things like this occur.
                                                  I agree on not stereotyping groups. As a millennial, I harbor careful optimism about our generation and I sincerely hope we develop warp drive and total equality very soon, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to criticize things I find objectionable. As far as I can see, there haven't really been any true generalizations of millenials as a group.

You didn't quote anything, so I'll assume you were responding to my post regarding the legitimacy of the information on SDN. I can tell you that this site is absolutely one of the most valuable resources available to students interested in any health field. We have doctors, med students, pre-meds, dentists, vets and everything else you can thing of which relates to the health sciences. I can attest to the validity of much of the information on this forum. Certainly, some of it is bunk, but information on a semi academic site such as this one is subject to a sort of natural selection. The good stuff prospers while the bad stuff is weeded out.

Additionally, it would benefit you to consider not viewing yourself so much as a "special snowflake". I can guarantee that there are a million pre-meds that are basically clones of you if your only defining factor is that you work hard and you want to match derm.

And you aren't helping any stereotypes of millenials by constantly advocating that everything in any given social arena should be held to your standard of "constructive, fun and nice".

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                                                  Apr 4, 2009
                                                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                    Let's set my status in medicine aside, consider me speaking as a layman. When med school are selecting candidates to be my future doctors, they should (or at least try to) pick someone with strong altruistic motivations. Yeah, I agree the OP is likely a (rather successful) troll.
                                                    Or your typical run-of-the-mill millenial:
                                                    upload_2014-12-2_1-5-27.png
                                                    upload_2014-12-2_1-5-50.png

upload_2014-12-2_1-6-12.png
                                                    upload_2014-12-2_1-6-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-2_1-6-28.png
                                                      upload_2014-12-2_1-6-28.png
                                                      132.5 KB · Views: 8
                                                    Reactions: 2 users

prioritiesinline

Nov 30, 2014
                                                    1. Pre-Medical
                                                      i have to admit though. the slide in the millennial presentation about giving frequent feedback and being ENTHUSIATIC is true though! what's wrong with having that mentality? being NICE. why can't we be NICE in this forum? i just don't really understand how such future doctors could be so MEAN and gang up on a poor defenseless person who isn't really being mean at all.....

DermViser

10+ Year Member
                                                      Apr 4, 2009
                                                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                                                        Please don't judge my qualifications because you do not know me like that. And that's not what this post is about anyway. I'm not saying anywhere that I can't take negative criticism. What I am saying is that we should keep the posts here constructive and fun and NICE. and that is my plan for med school....to take negative criticism and teach people around me to be nice. you have to take people's feelings into account when you deal with people (or post on here). so i don't get why you folks are so quick to be soooo mean and negative. why not be supportive? constructive? why not bully? is there bullying in med school? is that what i should be getting ready for?
                                                        People around you won't want to be taught by you - try teaching your General Surgery or OB-Gyn resident to be "nice". They'll throw you (figuratively, not literally) into the closest wall.

FFH

Arf medicine
                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                        Jun 2, 2014
                                                        Park
                                                        1. Medical Student
                                                          There were some Comm, Psych, and Soc profs. at my undergrad who studied why people troll and had special privelages/leniances on forums for various experiments as undescript users, so it always makes me wonder when I see stuff like this.
                                                          I love reading about those studies, and studies in general. If I remember correctly, people who troll tend to have personality disorders in a way that's more so than people who respond to troll. People who give no craps to either are the least likely to have personality disorders.

About the Ads
                                                          This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                          7. This thread is locked.