Effect of obamacare on RPh jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm4312

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surprised how there is little discussion around the web how obamacare will affect RPh jobs. Obviously 'more Rx's to be filled for less per Rx,' but I would have thought the sheer volume increase must lead to more jobs. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Increased opportunities in primary care since the gov't basically said, "Eff it, we don't want to pay for physicians."

EDIT: specifically, look for more pharmacist run lipid clinics, pain clinics, diabetes management clinics, (even more) anticoag clinics, etc...

Additionally look at pending legislation in California for APP (advanced practice pharmacist) designation which will allow all sorts of additional rights/privileges (not independent prescribing). As it stands right now, accredited residency + BCPS will get you the rights automatically if this thing gets signed into law.

Last edited:
Increased opportunities in primary care since the gov't basically said, "Eff it, we don't want to pay for physicians."

EDIT: specifically, look for more pharmacist run lipid clinics, pain clinics, diabetes management clinics, (even more) anticoag clinics, etc...

Additionally look at pending legislation in California for APP (advanced practice pharmacist) designation which will allow all sorts of additional rights/privileges (not independent prescribing). As it stands right now, accredited residency + BCPS will get you the rights automatically if this thing gets signed into law.

I think nurses will be the ones doing all of those things. They make less than pharmacists and they also have more political influences than pharmacists.

The main purpose of Obamacare is to reduce cost. Mail order will thrive under Obamacare.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think nurses will be the ones doing all of those things. They make less than pharmacists and they also have more political influences than pharmacists.

The main purpose of Obamacare is to reduce cost. Mail order will thrive under Obamacare.

Do you not remember your own prediction? Pharmacist oversupply and a reduction of salary means we can afford it.

As for nurses doing the above....not RN's, but NP's yes, at least they retain prescriptive power. It will take enterprising pharmacists and directors to sell their health systems on pharmacists taking these over. I've seen it done.

Do you not remember your own prediction? Pharmacist oversupply and a reduction of salary means we can afford it.

As for nurses doing the above....not RN's, but NP's yes, at least they retain prescriptive power. It will take enterprising pharmacists and directors to sell their health systems on pharmacists taking these over. I've seen it done.

Unfortunately, it is no longer a prediction. It is already a fact.

Nurses= lower salary, more political power, more patient care experience

Trust me, this is nothing new. Every few years, you hear about pharmacists providing direct patient care. I don't mean in an academic settling where pharmacists are just volunteers and are being paid not by the hospital but by the students' tuition. I mean in a clinic in every block like what academia has been preaching.

Obamacare may not necessarily increase prescription volume or have as much effect on it as people think. Insurance premiums will go up for a lot of people and that will take away from their ability to pay for medication copays and deductibles. People will not buy those meds. To me it seems like this healthcare law will just perpetuate a lot of existing problems.

Obamacare may not necessarily increase prescription volume or have as much effect on it as people think. Insurance premiums will go up for a lot of people and that will take away from their ability to pay for medication copays and deductibles. People will not buy those meds. To me it seems like this healthcare law will just perpetuate a lot of existing problems.

I'd be willing to hang my hat on this. My tin-foil-hat-side thinks this could be a means to an end to get us to a single payer system