Effect of residency on future job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stochastic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What effect does the type of residency (i.e., academic, community, podunk, etc.) have on your ability to get a job someday? I realize that if you want to go into academia or research, academic residencies would be best. But, let's say you just want a job in a community (or BIG community) practice/hospital that will give you nice hours, nice benefits, this, that and the other? Will going to a prestigious residency give you an advantage? If not, what is the big fuss for all of these people trying to get into "Top Programs" if they do not intend to be in academia or research?

I've tried the search, so if this has been talked about, just let me know what to search for or give me a link please.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the residency where you'd want to work. There is no substitute for having 3 years of contact with your future employers.

IMO, the quest for "top programs" comes from those who know they want to do a fellowship and would like to get into a very competitive or top fellowship program, those who potentially want to do a fellowship but are undecided (so as to keep their options open), those who are interested in working in academia, and those who believe that the training is superior at these programs (whether it is or not is debatable depending on practice goals).

I'd be surprised if training at a prestigious program didn't help with applying for jobs.

If I were hiring, I would take a familiar candidate from my home program over an equally strong but unfamiliar candidate from SuperDuper U any day.

Mumpu said:
If I were hiring, I would take a familiar candidate from my home program over an equally strong but unfamiliar candidate from SuperDuper U any day.

Well, I'm thinking the reason people attend top programs is the same reason students try to get into well known, competitive programs for any academic reason: flexibility. The idea is that they may not know where they want to live after they finish or if they want to do fellowships. Attending a top program may keep their options open. So someone at a top program may decide that they really dislike where they are after doing their residency and want to head to another state like say....Cali. Attending a top program will open more doors in Cali than attending a non-top program that is not from the Cali area, if all else is equal.

Certainly, the higher you go the more flexibility you have. Can't argue with that. The key is to seek a balance between sanity and flexibility.

SDN strikes again. Double post BUHLETED!