effect on chances applying late (oct) vs early(June) to dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankodejenko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ideally I wanted to apply next June since receiving my DAT this august, but decided to send in my app anyways around October (happy with my DAT score). Does anyone know how much of a difference it makes applying this late compared to when it opens?

basically I was dissapointed being rejected from schools that I thought I had a clear shot with. I'm continuing to take courses but its bringing down my GPA. Would anyone seriously consider waiting until next year, even if I end up getting an interview this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TBH...The chances having a successful application with early submission compared to late submission is quite substantial. Nevertheless, I would still be optimistic about your chances because it isn't over until your get a rejection, interview, or acceptance. Many schools wait until post-December to send out interviews because successful applicants will usually have more than one acceptances, meaning that they have to turn down some school offers. I would just wait out this cycle and see what happens. If it doesn't end up being successful, APPLY EARLY next cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Definitely a huge benefit to apply early versus late, but there's always hope. I submitted early October and received 4 interviews and 3 acceptances, with 3 of the interviews being the past 2 weeks. Always stay hopeful and hang in there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats from my university say if you had a 3.4 and a 19AA and applied early there was a 94% chance of being accepted but it you applied in August it dropped to 20% regardless of stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I have pretty much the same story as you. Last cycle I applied really late, most I had submitted around November-December because I took my DAT August 30th. I surprised myself with how well I did so I said why not and gave it a shot! Didn't turn out like I hoped, and only got one interview in February and was ultimately waitlisted. This cycle, I submitted late June and got 2 interviews, got into those 2 schools and have 1 more interview in February.

So hey, if you get an interview, heck ya! Go for it and try to get in this round! And if you don't get in this cycle, oh well so what try again next cycle and apply no later than June! You got this!

Side note: there are no schools people have clear shots with... dental admissions are the 8th wonder of the world, no one knows how they function lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have pretty much the same story as you. Last cycle I applied really late, most I had submitted around November-December because I took my DAT August 30th. I surprised myself with how well I did so I said why not and gave it a shot! Didn't turn out like I hoped, and only got one interview in February and was ultimately waitlisted. This cycle, I submitted late June and got 2 interviews, got into those 2 schools and have 1 more interview in February.

So hey, if you get an interview, hell ya! Go for it and try to get in this round! And if you don't get in this cycle, oh well so what try again next cycle and apply no later than June! You got this!

Side note: there are no schools people have clear shots with... dental admissions are the 8th wonder of the world, no one knows how they function lol
do you mind inboxing me which schools you got into?

Stats from my university say if you had a 3.4 and a 19AA and applied early there was a 94% chance of being accepted but it you applied in August it dropped to 20% regardless of stats.

Woah! Very huge drop- good to know.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Reactions: 1 user