Effects of Social Media on Medical School Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SillyDillySally

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is very searchable (not my username here) but my actual name. It's all over my YouTube channel (which gets some decent* traffic) and all over Tumblr (also gets some decent* traffic) along with Instagram. I was just wondering if medical schools really go and search its applicants. I would hate to be declined just because of my social life and videos. It's not like I have naked pictures or me getting sloppy drunk. I do have some content that I personally don't see as horrible- but I see how a very "formal" person could raise an eyebrow.

I know how this posts sound but I do take my academics very seriously. But I also enjoy being liberal on the internet.

I can't find any answers to people in similar situations. I guess not many people are in this situation, lol.

*Decent: ~fairly somewhat popular in that realm.

Members don't see this ad.

That would be make this more awkward than it was typing it. Ha! Med schools might be on the look out. :nailbiting:
How about an example channel, similar to mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would assume adcoms don't have time to watch all your youtube videos unless they are funny haha
I would just try to search your name and see what comes up. I would take down anything that might potentially effect you. Singing/covers can be good as they show your hobby and such

I have the same name as a famous person so it covers up all my content lol