Effects of the ACGME-AOA residency merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
PGY-5

Joseph Albano, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident
Medical School: Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

Robert Stockton, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident
Medical School: Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine

Laura Klingbeil, D.O.
PGY-5
Medical School: Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, Harlem NY

Franklin Lee, D.O.
PGY-5
Medical School: Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Bradenton)

Jonathon Lentz, D.O.
PGY-5
Medical School: Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Korey Yngstrom, D.O.
PGY-5

PGY-1

Peter Boucas, D.O.
PGY-1
Medical School: Midwestern University Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine

Rishabh Jethanadani, M.D.
PGY-1
Medical School: FAU College of Medicine

Jorge Padilla, M.D.
PGY-1
Medical School: Ponce Health Science University

Peter Regala, M.D.
Medical School: Medical College of Wisconsin

Salvatore Sclafani, D.O.
PGY-1
Medical School: TouroCOM Middletown, NY

Peter B. White, D.O.
PGY-1
Medical School: Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this will be more of the normal from now on. DO will have a very hard time going into the specialties. I just hope they make an exception for me before the onslaught happens!

PGY-5

Joseph Albano, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident

Robert Stockton, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident

Laura Klingbeil, D.O.
PGY-5

Franklin Lee, D.O.
PGY-5

Jonathon Lentz, D.O.
PGY-5

Korey Yngstrom, D.O.
PGY-5

PGY-1

Peter Boucas, D.O.
PGY-1

PGY-1

Jorge Padilla, M.D.
PGY-1

Peter Regala, M.D.

Salvatore Sclafani, D.O.
PGY-1

Peter B. White, D.O.
PGY-1

plainview has 3 spots for DOs, and 3 spots for MDs... it was a known fact that they were transitioning to that with the merger because of their affiliation with Northwell.

No one should be surprised by this. Some programs will take MDs. More DOs will probably match more traditional MD programs (occasionally) because now they won’t have to skip the AOA match in order to include the 2-3 MD interviews they get on their rank lists. Overall things will get harder for DOs in these specialties more so because of the massive influx of grads, not because of the merger.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PGY-5

Joseph Albano, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident

Robert Stockton, D.O.
PGY-5, Chief Resident

Laura Klingbeil, D.O.
PGY-5

Franklin Lee, D.O.
PGY-5

Jonathon Lentz, D.O.
PGY-5

Korey Yngstrom, D.O.
PGY-5

PGY-1

Peter Boucas, D.O.
PGY-1

PGY-1

Jorge Padilla, M.D.
PGY-1

Peter Regala, M.D.

Salvatore Sclafani, D.O.
PGY-1

Peter B. White, D.O.
PGY-1

While this is a very astute observation, but whats to say that the three other DO's who would have matched at this AOA program aren't at another ACGME program now? in 2014 there were <5 DO's who matched ortho surgery in 2014 in the ACGME match, in 2019 there were 15 who matched into ACGME programs, overall there were more DO's who got into Ortho in 2019 then in 2014(in both 2019 AOA and ACGME match), the sky isn't falling and this is just 1 program and they are still taking atleast 3 DO's.

in 2019 there were 15 who matched into ACGME programs,

And before someone jumps in with “oh but that’s former AOA!” Some of it is but a lot of those aren’t because the vast majority of former AOA programs still participated in the AOA match last year.

Reactions: 1 user
And before someone jumps in with “oh but that’s former AOA!” Some of it is but a lot of those aren’t because the vast majority of former AOA programs still participated in the AOA match last year.
Exactly, most of the DO programs were still in the AOA match so most of those 15 were to actual traditional MD programs and that imo is a step in the right direction, competition will increase no doubt but due to so many new school opening(MD and DO). Overall I think the IMG's are the ones to take the biggest hit due to the merger.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
plainview has 3 spots for DOs, and 3 spots for MDs... it was a known fact that they were transitioning to that with the merger because of their affiliation with Northwell.

No one should be surprised by this. Some programs will take MDs. More DOs will probably match more traditional MD programs (occasionally) because now they won’t have to skip the AOA match in order to include the 2-3 MD interviews they get on their rank lists. Overall things will get harder for DOs in these specialties more so because of the massive influx of grads, not because of the merger.
The problem is the match doesnt allow you to make a MD list and a DO one. So no residency can control how many of each they get ultimately unless they only rank one type of student. All we can really say is that they went from a residency that didnt take MDs to one that does now.

Any former DO program that ranks MDs now that didnt before is a loss of spots.

Last edited:
The problem is the match doesnt allow you to make a MD list and a DO one. So no residency can control how many of each they get ultimately unless they only rank one type of student. All we can really say is that they went from a residency that didnt take MDs to one that does now.

I interviewed at one such program. However, I was the only MD applicant there, they had 13 DO applicants at the same interview. Other programs i applied to apparently don’t take MD’s without OMM training, so some “take” MDs but only in limited capacities.

Except when those DOs match elsewhere. All that's happening is that the same DOs that would have been edged out by the more competitive DOs are being edged out by more competitive MDs.

Before the merger a lot of competitive DOs wouldn't dream of applying only ACGME, when an AOA match was a sure thing. Now they don't have to choose and they're matching ACGME.

We've gone through the numbers before. For all the doom and gloom, there are basically more DOs matching specialties now than there were before the merger. Time will tell what 2020 is like, but so far things have looked fine, even maybe better than I expected.

Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed at one such program. However, I was the only MD applicant there, they had 13 DO applicants at the same interview. Other programs i applied to apparently don’t take MD’s without OMM training, so some “take” MDs but only in limited capacities.
In FM this is true. Not the same as surgery tho. Osteopathic recognition isn't a thing for most former AOA that are not primary care.

Except when those DOs match elsewhere. All that's happening is that the same DOs that would have been edged out by the more competitive DOs are being edged out by more competitive MDs.

Before the merger a lot of competitive DOs wouldn't dream of applying only ACGME, when an AOA match was a sure thing. Now they don't have to choose and they're matching ACGME.

We've gone through the numbers before. For all the doom and gloom, there are basically more DOs matching specialties now than there were before the merger. Time will tell what 2020 is like, but so far things have looked fine, even maybe better than I expected.
I agree overall, but this line of thinking doesn't apply to things like ortho or ENT or plastics etc. Our numbers are higher but percent wise I expect a drop.

Reactions: 1 user