Efficiency wedge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We can increase productivity by 20% if everyone works on Saturday and we increase the work hours to 6 pm.

Members don't see this ad.

We can increase productivity by 20% if everyone works on Saturday and we increase the work hours to 6 pm.

You can get 60% more from your staff if you work them all night then all day, give them six hours rest and feed them from a trough.

You can get 60% more from your staff if you work them all night then all day, give them six hours rest and feed them from a trough.
This is the funniest thing I have read in a while!!!!!!!:laugh: The sad part is that Most of the admin types think with the same logic!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, sounds like a bad idea, but who's the trough catered by?

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Up for promotion, are we? :D

I made the mistake of reading one of the PPT presentations that was e-mailed out as having been presented at the 0-6 to 0-7 level at NMCP.

the last slide list's "decrease demand" as one of the options to improve care.

The text of the e-mail calls AHLTA an "impediment to care".

i want out

AHLTA trick #2: increase productivity by clicking the ">50% blah blah blah" button on the dispo page. Upcodes every visit. Of course, you don't actually see any more patients but who uses actual patient care to measure productivity.

AHLTA trick #3: find a acrochordon, or other lesion of your choice, to remove, spend 2 min freezing, double your credit for the appt.

AHLTA trick #2: increase productivity by clicking the ">50% blah blah blah" button on the dispo page. Upcodes every visit. Of course, you don't actually see any more patients but who uses actual patient care to measure productivity.

AHLTA trick #3: find a acrochordon, or other lesion of your choice, to remove, spend 2 min freezing, double your credit for the appt.

Yeah, but if you click the > 50% time on counselling button and don't write a significant explantion in the A/P section of your note, the few coders that exitst will downgrade your visit to an appropriate level. It takes longer to write the explanation of counseling that you did rather than do a slightly more detailed physical exam and ROS and get the code you wanted in the first place.

AHLTA screw job #3: you may feeze that lesion or do some other procedure, but AHLTA may not really give you the RVU's. For some reason we are given 0 RVU's for doing a bladder scan in the clinic, yet the coders state we should be getting 0.7 RVU's every time it's done. It's a mystery software glitch they can't fix but still rips me off several times a day.

I forgot to mention how we can pontentially get around the every saturday bit. If we sytematically deny leave, that opens up thirty more work days a year. Granted you can carry that over into the next year, but you can only ever have sixty days in the books. So, every five years, they have the give you sixty days of leave or no one would be left. But that does net save 180 days that you can be in the clinic! After all, leave is a privelage and not a right, and since we're not efficient enough, maybe we deserve it? Plus you can ask your civilian contractors about their vacations. Leave by proxy isn't that bad, is it?

The really sad part about this thread, is there is some hard charging LTJG somewhere that is reading this, and thinking that if he/she can present these ideas to his OIC or CO, they might just buy them.

They are even thinking that if they get these implemented, it would increase productivity, and wouldn't even impact them because they aren't providers anyway.

The worse part, is that when the LTJG spins, and sells this to their OIC, or CO will have to think about whether or not these are viable options, and may even try them out.

And if they do try them out, the LTJG will be telling the OIC daily, how well this is working, and either won't mention how its impacting providers, or will spin it in such a way to make it sound like the providers aren't team players.

meanwhile, the providers will be so busy seeing patients that they can't find time to go wait for an hour in the CO's office to tell them how horribly these would impact pt care.

yes, I am a little bit bitter about all this.

i want out

The really sad part about this thread, is there is some hard charging LTJG somewhere that is reading this, and thinking that if he/she can present these ideas to his OIC or CO, they might just buy them.

A while back there was a thread where a medical student(?) complained how a MSC and enlisted guy confronted him and told him he was worthless for some administrative issue. As I recall he complained to his program director and was vindicated.

The best thing about the "efficiency wedge" is it is an opportunity for a MSC/NC to pick on the doctor!

A while back there was a thread where a medical student(?) complained how a MSC and enlisted guy confronted him and told him he was worthless for some administrative issue. As I recall he complained to his program director and was vindicated.

The best thing about the "efficiency wedge" is it is an opportunity for a MSC/NC to pick on the doctor!

That was no medical student. It was a resident at one of the army hospitals (Walter Reed if not mistaken) who was basically berated by his company commander for not coming to sign some sheet of paper.

That was me. I was working the night shift and couldn't make it over between noon and 3pm to sign a roster. They grilled me for over an hour and said they were going to jerk me out of internship to deploy me to Iraq.

Only 9 years left. Awesome.

That was me. I was working the night shift and couldn't make it over between noon and 3pm to sign a roster. They grilled me for over an hour and said they were going to jerk me out of internship to deploy me to Iraq.

Only 9 years left. Awesome.

They did what??

Pinheads.

Perhaps you should pull the applicable regs about crew rest, as I did when I was working night shift, and various administrative types complained about not making to the orderly room during regular hours.

Alternatively, you could point them to this Army study from WRAMC , which details the performance drop from sleep deprivation. Gross motor and physical tasks were relatively unaffected... but they particularly noted a steep decline in the ability to perform complex mental tasks (like trying to integrate all the labs, clinical findings, and history on a sick patient).

*!#@% admin types... these people drive me crazy.