Ehhh...Tough Situation here...Should I push my DAT back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fellowstudent92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today's my last day to decide if I should push my DAT back to the 25th as the latest if I want to reschedule for $60 as opposed to $100. I'm set to take it the 13th. I'm worried because the 25th is really late and kind of pushing it from what I've heard and read on these message boards. I've submitted my app and supplemental stuff will be done soon.

It's not that I would have that big of a problem taking it the 13th. It's just that i'm aiming for literally 25+ across the board. Right now, I'm struggling a bit with the TFE portion/Pattern Folding portions of the DAT. For the other subjects, I really want to be able to review Destroyer 2x, go over bootcamp 2x and then do Qvault/Topscore and then go over feralis/cliffs again. I guess I'm asking if it's worth pushing back for the certainty of getting 25s across the board versus what I'm getting now. I'm aiming for a lot of the competitive schools so I guess this is my biggest concern. If I wanted to just go to my state school, I would've taken this test a month ago. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you feel the extra 2 weeks will pay off by increasing your score then go for it. However, it may take a few weeks before the score are sent to schools and by then it's mid September, which is not really considered early anymore.

There's no sure fire way to get 25s across the board. If you are scoring as well as you say on these practice tests, sounds like you are ready, but only you know for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me put it this way, if you're already getting 21+ submitting earlier will do more for you than a couple points on random sections.

Perhaps I should take the ADA 2009 Practice Exam to ease my nerves.

Just take it, have the date set in stone and hammer out your reviewing in the next few weeks and you'll be ready.

So let's see, two people say yes and the other two say no. Hmm it seems we've arrived at a stalemate lol anybody wanna be the tie breaker?

13th. You don't need 25's across the board, no matter how the DAT forum makes you feel.

I vote take it on the 13th. I was getting scores ranging from 17-22 on sections of my practice tests. I never got an AA better than 22. Come test day, I got an AA of 25 and no section under 23. I even thought about pushing back like you because of the QR and reading comprehension (turned out to be my highest score). Maybe it was situation, but I really felt that the test was easier than much of my study materials (Kaplan, Bootcamp free, Crack DAT PAT, and Destroyer)

AWESOME! ...oh okay that gave me a bit of confidence. I'll take a practice test right now to see where I really stand. Then I'll decide by tonight. THANKS EVERYBODY!

Take it the 13th. Trust me, even if you go to the 25th you are still going to feel like there is more to do. It sounds like your studying is strong and your practices are good, so get it done and out of the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it tomorrow, and bring a bottle of vodka with you to either celebrate or drink the agony of defeat away...

Eh I wasn't satisfied with how I did in the 2009 practice test wtf...I mean I did good on some parts and then okay on others.

PAT: 18 (WTF?)
RC:20 (WTF?)
GC: 26
OC: 21 (NOOO)
QRT: 22
Bio: 23

WHAT SHOULD I DO? RESCHEDULE???

Rc on 2009 is unreasonable don't even worry about that I would definitely focus on pat though

Yea I think so. If I weren't taking classes on the side, I definitely wouldn't need the extra time. It just feels better to be on the safe side with this. Plus I found an open spot for the 19th!

Wow !

SDN

Where things happen....

Tbh, I would just take it on the 13th. Whoever said 21+ across the board and getting your scores in 2 weeks earlier is better is right. It takes 3 weeks for the scores to update on AADSAS, so if you wait till the 25th, your scores won't be on AADSAS until September 12th.

Also, consider this: once you get to 22+, ONE QUESTION can be the difference between a 22 and 25+. Oh, and 22 is like 95-99th percentile.

^Well in that case, I would just update my schools my sending them emails with my unofficial score report.

It's not that I would have that big of a problem taking it the 13th. It's just that i'm aiming for literally 25+ across the board. Right now, I'm struggling a bit with the TFE portion/Pattern Folding portions of the DAT. For the other subjects, I really want to be able to review Destroyer 2x, go over bootcamp 2x and then do Qvault/Topscore and then go over feralis/cliffs again. I guess I'm asking if it's worth pushing back for the certainty of getting 25s across the board versus what I'm getting now. I'm aiming for a lot of the competitive schools so I guess this is my biggest concern. If I wanted to just go to my state school, I would've taken this test a month ago. What should I do?

You can do all of those things you want to do by the 13th. If you know your stuff pretty well, reviewing isn't so terribly time-consuming.

I'd take it on the 13th. There is no possible way to guarantee 25s across the board.

Also, you're going to be a lot more "in the zone" on your actual test day than you would be with practice tests. Don't let those scores mess with your head. If you feel decently prepared, get it over with! :D

At least for me, I knew I would never TRULY feel ready for the DAT. However, once I got to the point where I didn't think I could take any more studying... I scheduled my test. And voila! It was amazing to have it over with. I could have drug out my studying for a few more weeks, but honestly, I really don't think that more studying would have improved my scores at all. There's a point where you've done all you can. I'd have just been completely burned out.

^That's because your TS was a friggen 30! Of course, you couldn't have improved lol

Eh I wasn't satisfied with how I did in the 2009 practice test wtf...I mean I did good on some parts and then okay on others.

PAT: 18 (WTF?)
RC:20 (WTF?)
GC: 26
OC: 21 (NOOO)
QRT: 22
Bio: 23

WHAT SHOULD I DO? RESCHEDULE???

I'd say take it!! My actual DAT score was IDENTICAL to my 2009 DAT score. Except my total science score went up by 2 points. Like others have said, its probably not a good idea to wait since schools will be receiving your scores in September.