Einstein early match results. what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chury

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ophthalmology:

4 students matched at these programs:
Albert Einstein (2), Columbia, and Long Island Jewish
(2 did not match ? both have robust back-up plans in place)

Otolaryngology (ENT)

2 for 2 matched at; New York Eye and Ear and at the Univ of Colorado

Urology

4 for 4 matched at;
Albert Einstein, Univ of Miami (Jackson Memorial), & Univ of Penn (2)

Neurology

10 of 11 matched at;
Einstein/MMC (5), Long Island Jewish, New York Univ, Mayo Clinic,
Mt. Sinai, and at the Univ of California at San Francisco
(1 did not match ? explained by a very short rank list)

In summary ? 20/23 worked out very well, as you can see. No one applied in Neurosurgery.

Members don't see this ad.

oops, hey chury do u know the competitive nature of the neuro programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
The matches you listed are fine,Einstein does very well for residencies. I see there are a lot of students going into Neuro.I assume this may be related to Einsteins large MD-Phd program in the neurosciences.But Neurology is a easy match and many top programs have trouble even filling their slots.

yeah, but why is neurology an early match then? It does not make any sense.

Is orthopedic surgery an early match?

To my knowledge the early match is run by the San Francisco match and is different than the NRMP in its administration and it has earlier interviews.I do not believe it is organized this way due to the level of competition as Dermatology is a later match. I think Urology has its own matching plan.

My dean explained that when the SF Match was started, Neurology WAS actually competetive. Thus, just like the other programs thru that match, it was more beneficial for a rejected applicant to find out before the other match...so that they could make alternative plans.

Still, I would say that Einstein has one of the largest Neurology classes I've seen. That's impressive. No one in my class of 96 is even interested in Neurology; then again, I go to a primary care school. Go figure.

Ortho is not any early match. Just thought you would like to know.

Strong work at Einstein. Fairly large neuro group when you consider that Einstein graduates about 180-190 med students/yr (more than 5% or 1/20).

In addition to Ortho, the most competitive residency, Dermatology, is in the regular match.

If ever there was a need to have an early match, it's Derm.