quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Alright, I've decided that I need to withdraw from one of these schools... i'm still waiting to hear from the non-rolling ones, but I'm feeling guilty about holding on to both acceptances. Any ideas about which is better? I'm interested in doing EM and would like to do some international rotations.

Thanks!!

Mr. Rosewater

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
erf
Status (Visible)
i think they're comparable, but i think the research at AE is better and you're in NY. sorry, but philly just can't compete.

MabdulD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
Status (Visible)
The area surrounding Jefferson is about 50 times nicer than the area surrounding Einstein. Is it better to live in a cool area? Or to live in a mediocre area but have the opportunity to go, say once or twice a week, to Manhattan?

I've seen Einstein, but I haven't "visited" and all that, cause I didn't apply there. So, I can't really comment on the facilities there. But Jefferson's clinical stuff is generally considered top-notch, so I doubt AE will beat it there.

I wasn't so enthused about what I learned about the first couple years at Jeff, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to keep me from going there. If, you know, they were to accept me.

On the other hand, I hear a lot of great things about Einstein, and Jeff didn't seem to offer a whole lot of info about international stuff.

About the Ads

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i think you should just hold on to both of them until you can find out a lot more opinions about the schools and if you are able to go to their second look weekends (if they have them that is) you should.

it is honorable for you to want to withdraw from one to help others out, but since you are not clear cut, you shouldnt make this tough decision so soon. and remember usually if you withdraw...that extra slot wont send someone in from the waitlist faster...(i think) so for the time being...gather as much info as you can.

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hey Quid, I think I'm in the same boat. I'm deciding between the two right now, while waiting on PItt and Penn. What scares me about Jeff is what I've heard is a very competetive atmosphere, that students just aren't as happy as those at einstein, and that there are only 8% non-science majors. (I think we're both philosophy, right?) While looking at surveys of both, it seems that while the location of einstein isn't great and Jeff's is, students are much happier at einstein. I think this should be the biggest factor, at least for me.

Wednesday

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi,

I tend to agree with the people who are encouraging you to go back and visit the schools again. I know that Jeff has a second-look weekend and Einstein probably does too.

I can only speak for Jeff, but I would have to disagree with some of the stuff you guys have heard. I haven't found Jefferson competitive at all. I think that since the grading has changed ( now is h/p/f, used to be numerical) the atmosphere has improved a lot. Remember that honors is strictly a percentage, so if everyone gets above that percentage, everyone gets honors. I think the students are very happy here, but perhaps they are jumping off the walls at Einstein? And I don't know where you got the 8% non-science major statistic, but that doesn't really seem right to me. There are MANY people in my class who were non-science majors. I was a drama major and I'm doing quite well.

I guess I would caution you to be careful when listening to impressions of schools from other premeds. Listening to students at other med schools is hard too, because often the information they are giving you is just something they heard and not necessarily based in reality. The best way to choose, I think, is to go back to the school and get your own gut feeling about the place. Talk to as many current students as you can and then just go for it.

If you guys have any specific questions about Jeff feel free to PM me. Good luck with all of your decisions!

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
well, though jeff may be h/p/f it is still based on percentages, rather than a mean like in pittsburgh for instance, or just p/f like the first year at Einstein. It seems sort of like percentages in disguise, but I can understand how it's a little less competetive than it was.

As for the 8% non-science, that came from US News statistics. Other schools I'm looking at had percentages around 25%. Judging from physicians with whom I've talked who've either gone to my undergrad or majored in non-science, I'm not sure how well I'll fit in at a place where there's such a high percentage of college science majors. I guess I'll find out at second look.

On a sidenote though, when I asked my ent, who went to jeff, what he thought about it, all he said was, "well, they prepare you for the boards." Though this is one instance, there was no, "the administration caters to students", "I had a great time there", etc. Who knows, I may end up going to jeff myself and end up being totally happy there. I agree that you should be wary of pre-med opinions, but also understand that I'm in the same situation, making the same decision from what little information that is available. It's difficult to sift through all the spin that's fed to us, and I'm not sure those who hate their schools are the ones who'll be posting on here. All we can do is gather what opinions/facts we can, and take a Kierkegaardian leap of faith.

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! I think you're all right - I'm going to hold on to these and wait until the second look weekends. And who knows, I may not have to make a choice at all (crossing fingers...)

Wardens,

Yep, we're in EXACTLY the same boat.... and I agree, I would also like to go to a school with more non-science majors. Did you apply to Yale? They seem to be pretty liberal with those kinds of things too... *sigh* waiting sucks, doesn't it?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.