Einstein vs. Miami MD/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretnerd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a really difficult decision to make and I'd appreciate any input/advice. The cost of attendance is about the same and many other factors such as diversity of patient population, happiness of students, P/F

Einstein pros:
Close to my family (only 15 min drive)
A little more prestigious

Cons:
cold weather (I've been living in Miami the past 5 years so I'm not used to it anymore but I'll survive)
MPH degree would be in the 4th year breaking up my clinical years and make a total of 5 years of school

Miami pros:
Nice weather
MPH is in the summers so only 4 years of school rather than 5
Clinical rotations start in the second year of school rather than the third year

cons:
having to fly to see my family and probably not often since my summers will be in miami for the MPH portion

Members don't see this ad.

Miami. You’ve been there for five. If you didn’t miss your family much during that time, you won’t have time to miss them in med school. (Harsh, I know.)

If money is no different, I’d pick somewhere that will get me out faster. I don’t know specific ranking for either school, but I don’t think they’re THAT different to make my decision base on that.

Lastly, where do you want to end up? That may play a part in your decision.

Good luck.

Miami. You’ve been there for five. If you didn’t miss your family much during that time, you won’t have time to miss them in med school. (Harsh, I know.)

If money is no different, I’d pick somewhere that will get me out faster. I don’t know specific ranking for either school, but I don’t think they’re THAT different to make my decision base on that.

Lastly, where do you want to end up? That may play a part in your decision.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response. I feel like Miami is the right choice because 4 years is better than 5 years but my family always pulls me back to Einstein because they have missed me since I've been in Miami. I also have no idea where I want to end up which makes it tough lol I'm a very flexible person which is sometimes a bad thing

Med school will be tough, certainly better with a good support system. If you have some friends in FL, it may be good enough.
4 is always better than 5; but it also means if you want something more competitive than your middle of the road speciality, it can be tougher.

You’re in a good position with either, need some good soul searching.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Might be slight bias since I will be going to Miami but I would easily pick it still over Einstein had I been accepted to both.

MPH is online this summer so you won’t have to come early and the only other required summer for MPH is end of year 3 for capstone project presentation.

The match list has set a trend of being disgustingly good for the past few years.

Opportunity cost of saving the 1 year comes down to approximately 200k + depending on specialty along with paying off accumulating interest earlier

I agree with the previous comments, the cost of an extra year is probably not worth it. Save your money. Just my 2 cents.