Einstein vs. Rochester vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geminimd9

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I'm having a hard time deciding between these three schools for the various pros and cons listed below. And of course not having second look this year makes the decision a little tougher. I care most about training in an urban and underserved area. I also want to be in a school that cares about students of color and underserved patients. While i'm staying open in terms of residency, I will probably end up choosing to do neurology (long standing interest). Finally, I just want to be in a school that is collaborative, where I'll connect with my peers, and where I'll be most happy. I come from a very liberal undergrad and I'm not the most traditional pre-med (i'm also a musician and heavily into the arts ) I would appreciate any input.

Einstein

Pros:
-close to family and close friends
-Grew up in the Bronx so familiar with area
-students match in institutions where I would like to match during 4th year
-Will be trained to care for the kinds of patients I want to serve
-Seems to align with my academic and personal goals for medical school

Cons:
-Financial aid package not the best
-Didn't really get a sense of student vibe during interview day due to the format of the day
-Have had staff be rude on the phone both in the admissions and financial aid department
-Don't know much about how the institution cares about students of color
-2+2 curriculum (not necessarily a priority for me)
-didn't like the subsidized housing
-Very research focused (at least during interview day)

Rochester

pros:
-small class
-shortened curriculum
-students also match very well but not necessarily in NYC (where I want to end up eventually)
-Great interview day and felt a deep connection with my interviewer and the institution as a whole
-Offered a really neat financial aid package and the housing is very cheap

cons:
-very far from family and not necessarily the most urban location
-will need a car by second semester of second year
-mandatory lectures
-very coldd
-small class and therefore not too many students of color

Jefferson (still waiting for FA package)

pros:
-in a city
-close to my younger sister who is in philly too for undergrad and other family in philly
-connected with the students of color I met during the day
-Students have tracks they can take during the four years
-staff seemed very caring about medical students
-Caters to the humanities

cons:
-large class (~270 or more)
-students match decently but not as prestigiously as they do in Einstein or Rochester
-The school is still not as diverse and hasn't been historically
-2+2 curriculum (again doesnt matter too much)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They are all great schools. It looks like you are leaning towards einstein. They are similar in terms of ranking (Einstein may be a little higher?). Einstein seems to be more suitable for you. You can stay closer to home and it is in NYC, which is the perfect place for your artistic hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user
If I had a chance to go to a school that was near friends and family AND aligned with my goals I would not pass that up. Einstein sounds great.