EK 1001 Biology #447, need explanation thnx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdfacs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys could explain Biology question #447, on the endocrine passage in the Biology 1001 questions. The explanation basically said just look for the highest and the lowest number and since the lowest number looks good just choose that one. But it doesn't give a solid explanation.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you guys could explain Biology question #447, on the endocrine passage in the Biology 1001 questions. The explanation basically said just look for the highest and the lowest number and since the lowest number looks good just choose that one. But it doesn't give a solid explanation.

i dont think you'll have to worry about stupid questions like this on the real exam. there is no way to answer this question unless you know the physiological range of cortisol.

I guess your right, but it would be great if an EK moderator would explain their rational for answering this particular question

Members don't see this ad :)
Post the question and answers please, and we'll see if we can help you.

Thanks this is a passage based question:

ACTH stimulates the release of cortisol from the adrenal cortex. It can be inferred from the passage that the average blood cortisol concentration at 4pm on a given day would most likely be:

A. 713 mol/L
B. 997 mmol/L
C. 101 nmol/L
D. 4.7 X 10^-4 mol/L

From the passage: "Hormones are always present in minute concentrations and are capable of both stimulatory and inhibitory effects."

Thanks this is a passage based question:

ACTH stimulates the release of cortisol from the adrenal cortex. It can be inferred from the passage that the average blood cortisol concentration at 4pm on a given day would most likely be:

A. 713 mol/L
B. 997 mmol/L
C. 101 nmol/L
D. 4.7 X 10^-4 mol/L

From the passage: "Hormones are always present in minute concentrations and are capable of both stimulatory and inhibitory effects."

lol. That's a ridiculous question. Don't worry about it. I mean, I guess the rational is that you'd have to know that hormones are usually present in pico mole to nanomole quantities in the blood. My guess would be C, but that's totally off base for MCAT IMHO. Not to mention that hormone levels can be measured in IUs/ml. :)

The first paragraph of the passage says, "Hormones are always present in minute concentrations and are capable of..." (always is italicized in the passage.)

I think what they're testing you on is your ability to apply the passage information to a random, nobody-would-really-know-this type of question. Whether or not this strategy is representative of the actual MCAT, I have no idea.

I think the reason you want the lowest one is because cortisol is released in response to stress/fasting. If I remember correctly, levels are highest around really early in the morning when you've been asleep all night and thus fasting. Ideally you wouldn't need a high level of cortisol at 4pm so you'd probably have a low level.

Maybe I'm reading too far into the question though. I dunno.