EK 1001 Biology Question #171

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarletblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at the question and I still don't have any idea on how to approach it.

(It's the passage with the Shine-Delgarno sequence...)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you read the answer? It tells you that you're looking for an answer which contains a "Shine-Delgarno" sequence, and a shine-delgarno sequence has four purines in a row (although that isn't explicitly stated). Its a difficult question no doubt.

The passage says that the sequence is 10 base pairs upstream of the 5' end of the start codon. Knowing (as you should know) that AUG is the start codon, counting 10 base pairs back from the start of the sequence given in the passage you arrive at the "A/G A/G A/G A/G".

That entire passage is pretty ****ing nuts. Difficult questions and the passage itself really isn't too clear. Don't feel bad about not getting it, I couldn't get it either.

sd sequence is in prokaryotes, which can also have a diff start codon than aug (gug and uug)

just random facts that you don't have to know, good ol biochem :sleep:

sd sequence is in prokaryotes, which can also have a diff start codon than aug (gug and uug)

just random facts that you don't have to know, good ol biochem :sleep:

No way you'd have to know that theres a start codon of anything but AUG for the mcat.