EK 1001 Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdsweetie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I do TPR Bio passages in the Science Workbook before doing EK 1001 Bio? Or should I do EK 1001 Bio first? Does it matter?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can I do TPR Bio passages in the Science Workbook before doing EK 1001 Bio? Or should I do EK 1001 Bio first? Does it matter?

Thanks

Most consider TPR Bio passages to be more challenging/better written than EK 1001's. So I would do EK first.

Most consider TPR Bio passages to be more challenging/better written than EK 1001's. So I would do EK first.

Where did you get this information? From what I've read, it seems that both are very well-written. I haven't gone through EK 1001 yet, but I've done several passages in TPR - they are good.

Where did you get this information? From what I've read, it seems that both are very well-written. I haven't gone through EK 1001 yet, but I've done several passages in TPR - they are good.

From what I've read on these forums in the last few months (doing A LOT of searches), people who have used both books have said that TPR bio passages resemble the current MCAT passages more than the EK 1001 passages do. But obviously, both are good practice. If I were to do one before the other, I would save the TPR passages for last.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read on these forums in the last few months (doing A LOT of searches), people who have used both books have said that TPR bio passages resemble the current MCAT passages more than the EK 1001 passages do. But obviously, both are good practice. If I were to do one before the other, I would save the TPR passages for last.

Gotcha. I looked into searches a lot too (I had to since bio is my weakest area), and it seems that for bio, there are all positive (and some negative) review for EK 1001, TPR, and TBR. Personally though, I think as long as we go through them, we will improve and do well. :)

They're both very good sources. I find EK 1001 to be a little easier, but I'm probably faring similarly on both.

Hey,

I did the EK ones first...I've just started TPR passages and I think they're harder

In fact, I think TPR verbal is harder than EK 101 as well. That's what Ive heard, but I'm gonna buy EK anyway

I'll throw in my two cents here:

I have finished EK 1001 for bio (yeah I know...it was a lot). On the whole though, when i compare it with the AAMC tests, I found that EK did not ask passage specific questions. Sure there was the occasional passage that would tell you something about X --> B and then blocking C and the question would be specifically related to that pathway. But there were also passages that talked about say hormone regulation and then would just ask something like "what hormone is upregulated before ovulation" or something along those lines. I found that EK was great for really testing your finite knowledge of the material (bio) but when it came to reasoning stuff out of passages, it sort of fell short. Maybe that was just me.

I'll throw in my two cents here:

I have finished EK 1001 for bio (yeah I know...it was a lot). On the whole though, when i compare it with the AAMC tests, I found that EK did not ask passage specific questions. Sure there was the occasional passage that would tell you something about X --> B and then blocking C and the question would be specifically related to that pathway. But there were also passages that talked about say hormone regulation and then would just ask something like "what hormone is upregulated before ovulation" or something along those lines. I found that EK was great for really testing your finite knowledge of the material (bio) but when it came to reasoning stuff out of passages, it sort of fell short. Maybe that was just me.

That makes sense if you take into consideration that the EK1001 books were meant for use by people who aren't hitting 10's on their full length tests, per the authors.

That makes sense if you take into consideration that the EK1001 books were meant for use by people who aren't hitting 10's on their full length tests, per the authors.

I'm not sure where you read that as I can't find reference to that in the books but I'll take your word for it. Might be why I'm scoring 11s and 12s haha :D

Maybe for the non-passage based topics, but the bio 1001 is equivalent to kaplan and other resources. Maybe TPR and BR are much more harder (I haven't tried them so I don't know), but those books come from specialized courses.

I'm not sure where you read that as I can't find reference to that in the books but I'll take your word for it. Might be why I'm scoring 11s and 12s haha :D

It's in the EK content review books. :) Yeah, I have no idea why they wouldn't put that in the actual 1001 books! :laugh:

I know it is good to always practice under timed conditions but what is the best way to determine the amount of time a passage should take to complete? Clearly some bio passages are more difficult than others, no?

I know it is good to always practice under timed conditions but what is the best way to determine the amount of time a passage should take to complete? Clearly some bio passages are more difficult than others, no?
i usually go by the number of questions in the passage; if it's 7 questions I'll give myself 8 minutes, 5 questions --> 6 minutes etc..