EK 1001 Books - How important? Did you finish all of them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rom73085

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with my test date approaching (July 8) I've gone through BR Phase I, all the EK books, and am now left staring at my EK 1001 books. The EK 101 verbal passages aside, how many of you diligently finished all 1001 problems for all of the four books. I'm doing the Physics one right now and I'm half way through it, but I get pretty frustrated getting them wrong. It makes me feel like I know nothing. I'm just trying to decide whether my time would be better spent cranking out passages for the next two weeks (after that I'm working on just FL's). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So with my test date approaching (July 8) I've gone through BR Phase I, all the EK books, and am now left staring at my EK 1001 books. The EK 101 verbal passages aside, how many of you diligently finished all 1001 problems for all of the four books. I'm doing the Physics one right now and I'm half way through it, but I get pretty frustrated getting them wrong. It makes me feel like I know nothing. I'm just trying to decide whether my time would be better spent cranking out passages for the next two weeks (after that I'm working on just FL's). Thoughts?

The 1001 books are helpful in sharpening your knowledge. I went through all of them, the chem and physics I went through multiple times until I was comfortable with every single question. Obviously you don't have time to do that now.

With a month left you should be moving on to practice tests and getting comfortable doing passages. When you review your exams, the 1001 books can be helpful in strengthening your weaker areas.

The physics 1001 can be pretty tough. You don't have to master all the problems to do well on the MCAT, b/c half of MCAT success is passage comprehension. But, if you feel comfortable doing those EK problems, the MCAT will seem that much easier. Good luck.

Agree with ^^^. I used the Orgo/GChem/Physics books and felt they helped A LOT, especially for the PS subjects. What I did: every 3 questions for stuff I felt I knew pretty well and every other question or every question for those that I didn't (e.g. thermo, fluids, etc.). They were very helpful in nailing down the concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
also, you shouldn't feel like you HAVE to finish every problem and do the whole book. use the 1001 books as a supplement to help strengthen your weak areas

Work through the EK 1001 questions books to understand the content and memorize the formulas. Then, use Kaplan FLs or AAMC practice tests (save these for last, but try to get through all of them) to get used to the format of the test.

For those of you who completed all of the questions in an EK 1001 book, can you please share (or estimate) the amount of time that required? I'm trying to get an idea of how much time I should allocate to doing these problems with the time left I have for studying.

Thanks!

I did the physic first and that took me sooo long..12 days with 5 hours a day. But I was learning my weakness along the way..taking notes etc.. also phys is my weak area

however, organic took me 4 days..one of my stronger areas

the bio is arranged in units which helped me plan my sechdule..I did a unit a day. so 9 days

I am currently working on the chem...its annoying like phys but not as challenge.

Dont feel like you have to do answer every question or complete the whole book

I did the physic first and that took me sooo long..12 days with 5 hours a day. But I was learning my weakness along the way..taking notes etc.. also phys is my weak area

however, organic took me 4 days..one of my stronger areas

the bio is arranged in units which helped me plan my sechdule..I did a unit a day. so 9 days

I am currently working on the chem...its annoying like phys but not as challenge.

Dont feel like you have to do answer every question or complete the whole book

Does that include the time you spent on content review? I'm asking because I will have one month to study and planning to mainly use ek content and 1001 books.

Also, why did you decide to tackle one subject at a time instead of doing all of them simultaneously? Won't you forget some of the physics by the time you finish gchem?

No that is not including the content review. But i did take notes along the way as I got some concepts wrong. I redid the physics twice because I forgot alot of the concepts. that helped alot.

the biology is striaght forward and the general chem i did some question over...i placed a mark on the questions to revisit. But the EK package will take a month alone. it was my main review.

p.s. i still have to write the exam so i dont know how useful this method will be until i write the exam

You don't have to do every question, there's a good mixture of topics throughout them.

Certainly use them to target your weak areas.