SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I'm writing in August. Are the EK 1001 Physics, Gen. Chem, and even Organic worth the $45 each (Canadian)? I really want to improve my PS score of 8. On the AAMC practice tests I was getting 9-11. I'd love to be able to get that up to a 12+ to compensate for a most-likely mediocre Verbal score.

I'll be taking a Kaplan course this summer too, and I hear they prepare you well for the PS section. But I keep on hearing great things about EK so can someone fill me in... :confused: Thanks in advance,

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
I think the 1001 books are great for people weak in an area, or a whole section. The book says they are for people scoring >10 and wanting to improve. So yeah, I think at least the gen chem and physics would be helpful. The books take a lot of motivation to do...there are a lot of mundane questions, but if you have it, I think they could really help.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
actually if you visit the EK website the Orsays recommend the 1001 series for those scoring under 10 points.

crys20 said:
I think the 1001 books are great for people weak in an area, or a whole section. The book says they are for people scoring >10 and wanting to improve. So yeah, I think at least the gen chem and physics would be helpful. The books take a lot of motivation to do...there are a lot of mundane questions, but if you have it, I think they could really help.

nishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
I've been using the 1001 EK gen chem and physics. I love the gen chem. it really good for correcting any misconceptions you may have (and i had plenty in thermodynamics). I think the best way to study is to read the lectures and do the problems. i really think the repetition helps all the information stick in your memory. If you can afford it I think you should get all of them (although I don't like the physics as much as teh chem). I don't think you should worry about the cost. Remember most test prep classes are $1500 so if you spend even $300 on books you are still saving a lot of money. If anything don't write in it and sell it on this website when you are done with it. Remember, amazon often has books cheaper than EK website (i don't know if amazon ships to canada though.) also check out ebay. (I got mine off amazon new for 20 bucks.)