EK 1001 Physics 448 Ramp/Mechanical Advantage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRod18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't find the answer. EK said that there are way too many calc on this problem than for the MCAT, but its just fraustrating that I still can't find the right answer with their method. :mad:

448. a farmer has a 200 kg barrel that he must pull up a ramp to a height of 5 m. His old horse can apply a maximum force of only 1,000 N and only for 4 S. what is the shortest distance that the farmer can make the ramp if the barrel starts from rest.

Answer 20 meters.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What did EK use? I used kinematics..

Draw a ramp, where the hypotenuse is the unknown x, and the height is 5. Since the horse can only apply force for 4 seconds, that means that in 4 seconds, the entire distance x must be traveled, setting up the equation

x = 1/2at^2, t = 4
Solving for a gives x/8. The sum of all forces acting on the barrel is equal to its mass times acceleration, F = ma. The horse provides a constant force of 1000N, and gravity provides some force down the ramp. This gravitational force is mgsinθ. Looking at our diagram, sinθ is 5/x. Our equation is now ma = 1000 - 5mg/x. Substitute in for a, m, and g yields 25x = 1000 - 10000/x. Multiply all terms by x, and use the quadratic formula and you get x = 20.

What did EK use? I used kinematics..

Draw a ramp, where the hypotenuse is the unknown x, and the height is 5. Since the horse can only apply force for 4 seconds, that means that in 4 seconds, the entire distance x must be traveled, setting up the equation

x = 1/2at^2, t = 4
Solving for a gives x/8. The sum of all forces acting on the barrel is equal to its mass times acceleration, F = ma. The horse provides a constant force of 1000N, and gravity provides some force down the ramp. This gravitational force is mgsinθ. Looking at our diagram, sinθ is 5/x. Our equation is now ma = 1000 - 5mg/x. Substitute in for a, m, and g yields 25x = 1000 - 10000/x. Multiply all terms by x, and use the quadratic formula and you get x = 20.

Your a life saver Rabolisk,

Ek solved for net force up the ramp Fnet = F-mgsin(theta) = ma d = 1/2 at^2 their final equation was d = 1/2 (F-mgh/d / m) t^2. I plugged in values couldn't get the answer.