EK 1001 Physics: Electricity and Magnetism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenseeking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If q1 and q2 are both positively charged and q2 is released, what is the maximum velocity that can be achieved by q2? Please see figure attached.
Additional info: E is the electric field created by q1. V is voltage given point in the field E. Electric field created by Q2 is negligible compared to E. m1 is the mass of q1. m2 is mass of q2.

Answer: sqrt(2kq1q2/m2r)

Why isn't is sqrt(kq1q2/m2r)?
This is how I did it:
kq1q2/2r=1/2mv^2

Why is the "distance" r not 2r?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• electrostatics.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 54
If q1 and q2 are both positively charged and q2 is released, what is the maximum velocity that can be achieved by q2? Please see figure attached.
Additional info: E is the electric field created by q1. V is voltage given point in the field E. Electric field created by Q2 is negligible compared to E. m1 is the mass of q1. m2 is mass of q2.

Answer: sqrt(2kq1q2/m2r)

Why isn't is sqrt(kq1q2/m2r)?
This is how I did it:
kq1q2/2r=1/2mv^2

Why is the "distance" r not 2r?

First, Lmao at your diagram :D

What is colombs law: The force between two charges related by distance R. From what I can tell, the diagram is showing you that q2 is twice the distance from an arbitrary point r than is q1. Does this matter? Are we given scalar quantities which allow us to compute the TRUE value of r between q1 and q2? Nope. What your expression is saying is that we double the distance between q1 and q2 such that we get a diagram that shows we've got an r of 4r.

Tl: dr: The distance between the two points is r in terms of the equation and not 2r. You misused the equation.

Hope this clears things up.