EK 1001 Physics - Tough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roycer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else who is using the EK 1001 Physics book find that many of the questions are rather tough? Or is it just me? I don't seem to have as much trouble in the other EK 1001 books.

Members don't see this ad.

not tough......tests important concepts......could be more than you are expected to know for the MCAT sometimes.....but knowing too much doesnt hurt

They are indeed very detail oriented but well worth the time and effort in doing. I finished all of the EK1001 series less Chem which I still have about 400 problems left and I am now consistently scoring in the 13-14s in sciences. DO THEM, you'll thank me later when you get your scores back.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are indeed very detail oriented but well worth the time and effort in doing. I finish all of the EK1001 series less Chem which I still have about 400 problems left and I am now consistently scoring in the 13-14s in sciences. DO THEM, you'll thank me later when you get your scores back.

Do you mean 13-14 on EACH science section or biological + physical science scores combined?

They are indeed very detail oriented but well worth the time and effort in doing. I finished all of the EK1001 series less Chem which I still have about 400 problems left and I am now consistently scoring in the 13-14s in sciences. DO THEM, you'll thank me later when you get your scores back.

Were you able to answer most of the questions upon first try? I find that many of the questions I need to refer to solutions.

Were you able to answer most of the questions upon first try? I find that many of the questions I need to refer to solutions.

That's the beauty, you do the problems. THINK THINK and then THINK again why you got it wrong. Then look up the solutions. But in general. Yes, I was able to answer all the questions, but whether I got it wrong or not is another answer.

Yeah I actually do learn a lot from doing questions over again. Though, I was wondering if you were able to answer most of the questions upon first try, or are you in my position where you learned a lot from looking at the solutions/redoing the problems?

I'm just finding that the conceptual problems are good to practice with, but many of the calculation based problems require more algebra and formula manipulation than is required on the MCAT. There are many cases in the solutions where it says "this is probably harder than" or "this is more than you'll need to know on the MCAT." I am learning, but some of the questions are ridiculous!

There are some problems that require you to use 3 equations to solve one problem! They are good to learn from, but from my previous experiences with the MCAT, I've never had to perform as many calculations in one question!

*starts to do all his EK 101/1001 books.

Members don't see this ad :)
personally, i thought the answer explanations at the end was one of the best features of the EK1001 series, conceptually/content-wise.
do the questions, check your answers, know why you got what you got, you're money.

So funny that this thread is here.

I was going through this book and thinking that these questions were somewhat hard compared to a lot of other MCAT practice.

So funny how in the EK books and AO, they say that tension is essentially beyond the scope of the MCAT.

Physics 1001 has a few dozen tension questions in there, some pretty difficult.

is the physics helpful though?

also, what is the format, is it passage based on discretes?

thanks a lot

hahah i just finished my content review for physics today from the kaplan comprehensive review book. I then tried to do some of the review q's at the end of the section but wasnt doing too well lol (keeping in mind i havent taken physics and am teaching it myself) but did 'ok'..

after reading this thread i ordered the EK 1001 for physics off indigo .. hope it helps!

hahah i just finished my content review for physics today from the kaplan comprehensive review book. I then tried to do some of the review q's at the end of the section but wasnt doing too well lol (keeping in mind i havent taken physics and am teaching it myself) but did 'ok'..

after reading this thread i ordered the EK 1001 for physics off indigo .. hope it helps!

I've decided I'm not going to stress myself over not being able to do all 1001 questions. I'm going to use it to strengthen my weaker topics after some practice tests.

yeah i dont know what to expect really just by going through the content review.. kaplan essentially introduces the topic, gies the formula, then gies a problem related to that formula

but the review questions that are asked at the end of the chapter are about 3 steps beyond the content review.. so im hoping this ek book can bridge the gap.

Based on my experience with the Chem and Organic Chem books from the 1001 series, you should have the corresponding EK manual on hand when you attack the 1001 book. Otherwise the answer explanations aren't going to make too much sense to you, you'll get pissed off and think its a waste of money.

amar21, are you taking the Kaplan class?

no class, just the book and my own time.. im not a great lecture learner but can learn well on my own time through text

strong in bio and both chems, but never have taken physics (not since highschool atleast.. so about 4-5 years)

Cool. In that case you might want to grab something better than Kaplan's review book because its all just equations and doesn't really teach you the concepts, in my opinion. Nova Physics would be useful for you in my opinion, and some of the other posters would also recommend Berkeley Review. See what everyone else suggests.

I would think EK's Physics manual + EK 1001 Physics would be good enough to teach you the concepts though

yeah i dont know what to expect really just by going through the content review.. kaplan essentially introduces the topic, gies the formula, then gies a problem related to that formula

but the review questions that are asked at the end of the chapter are about 3 steps beyond the content review.. so im hoping this ek book can bridge the gap.

What Kaplan book are you referring to? I am using the Kaplan Premier book and there's no end-of-chapter questions. Are you referring to the questions and passages at the end of each subject (physics, bio etc)?

What Kaplan book are you referring to? I am using the Kaplan Premier book and there's no end-of-chapter questions. Are you referring to the questions and passages at the end of each subject (physics, bio etc)?

It sounds like he got the class books off someone. I have a set and those have at the end of the chapter questions but they are not difficult at all.

no no, I purchased the comprehensive review book from chapters.. i meant at the end of each SUBJECT theres about 25 or so questions directly related to that section.

for example, when reading through the review of kaplans physics it was mostly setup in a way that per chapter they'd introduce the topic, explain a bit about it.. then give an equation and probably do an example of it, then move on to the next topic of that chapter etc.,

But, at the end of the ENTIRE physics section/subject theres about 25 questions related to all of the chapters, and those questions are waaaaay off in relation to what the content review was about. I could figure most of them out, or understand how the answer came about by looking at the solutions.. but I felt pretty weak in the area itself. Mainly because, as you said.. kaplan teaches more formula than it does concepts.. and all of the questions were conceptual.

I think i'll pickup the EK physics review, since I already got the EK physics 1001.