EK 1001 Physics - Worth buying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have the EK 6th edition physics book along with Nova's MCAT Physics Book. I'm not that strong in physics and was wondering if the EK 1001 Physics workbook is worth getting? I know that it is stand alone questions and not passages. To those who used EK 1001 in Physics, did it help you out much on the MCAT? Would you recommend going with something else for practice? Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I have the EK 6th edition physics book along with Nova's MCAT Physics Book. I'm not that strong in physics and was wondering if the EK 1001 Physics workbook is worth getting? I know that it is stand alone questions and not passages. To those who used EK 1001 in Physics, did it help you out much on the MCAT? Would you recommend going with something else for practice? Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I bought it and didn't use it because I didn't have time. If you end up wanting to buy one at a reduced price, PM me.

I just bought it. I will start studying from it in a few weeks, after I finish up with the Kaplan book. Let me know how it goes for you.

I'm studying abroad in France so the shipping is kind of a pain for you. Anywho, I heard the Nova MCAT physics book is really great for understanding physics. There are some questions in the middle of each chapter along with a decent amount of stand alone and passage based questions at the end of each chapter. I was just trying to see if the EK 1001 physics book would further allow me to get the basics down. Do the questions seem decent? I heard theres a range from too simple to extremely hard. Let me know what you guy think. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will definately let you know once I get started. Hopefully, the Kaplan along with EK will be enough for physics. If not, I will consider Nova. When do you plan on taking the MCAT?

I am probably taking the MCAT May 25th in Frankfurt or Paris. I think about 3 months of pretty hard studying should be decent enough (I hope). It sucks my birthday is the 24th but hopefully I'll have something to celebrate about! I have all the EK 1001/101 books besides physics because I thought the Nova is good enough. I'll start studying in about a week.

Good luck!!! I think that I am going to take it in June. Hopefully, I will be more than ready.

The 1001 Physics was pretty useful for me. I am still using it and although it is just discrete questions, they are good for hammering down the basic concepts in MCAT question style.

i like EK1001 but i think that Nova is hands down so far the best book for physics(and not only the MCAT) i came across. Really simple easy to follow, good exercises too.

Thanks for your replies guys.

For Dr. Kicia,
As I said I have the Nova Physics book and the EK 6th edition physics text. You think its good to get the EK 1001 in physics on top of this? I am living in France for the year so its a pain to order things online and have them sent here. I just wanna see if the book is worth it before I pay the shipping! Thanks.

I live in hungary, so it's probably less than shipping from the states. PM me if you're still interested.

i like EK1001 but i think that Nova is hands down so far the best book for physics(and not only the MCAT) i came across. Really simple easy to follow, good exercises too.

I would have to agree with dr. kicia. I haven't used the EK1001 books, so I'm not completely sure how valuable the resource. However, nova is by far a very valuable resource. For me, it was the only book I needed for physics review. After completing the book I just focused on real mcat tests.

If you have time, after reviewing nova, I would recommend buying EK1001. Especially if you find you are struggling in a bunch of topics. I think though that you will have a good enough grasp on the basics of physics to do fine on the mcats w/o the EK book.

i have the nova book, but haven't looked at it yet. i actually have a pretty good highschool physics text from my OAC class (oh lordy i'm old.. they don't even have grade 13 in ontario anymore.. lol).

since the kitty tests 'basic' physics concepts.. and it's so much more about understanding concepts.. it's actually pretty helpful.

i hope that helps!

chrail