FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2010
Are they worth it? I was planning on getting EK 1001 Bio to supplement with EK Bio, but how are the others? If I ordered TBR Physics, Gen Chem, and OChem do you think I need them? I also foolishly signed up for the Kaplan course and have all of their online materials.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
Are they worth it? I was planning on getting EK 1001 Bio to supplement with EK Bio, but how are the others? If I ordered TBR Physics, Gen Chem, and OChem do you think I need them? I also foolishly signed up for the Kaplan course and have all of their online materials.
If you have TBR, then you don't need EK to supplement. Don't do it or you'll feel overwhelmed. Going through TBR Books along with EK bio and 101 passages will be a load. I can't imagine doing that and EK 1001. I went through TBR O-chem and Gen Chem and selective passages in physics and felt well prepared. I had EK 1001 as well but didn't find it as useful but that's me. A lot of other kids have done well just by doing the 1001. My 2 cents.

chicago88

5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i can personally attest to it being overload.

ek 1001 takes an extremely long time to go through if you do it right way.. lots of tough questions in there, and to understand them fully you need to use their website as a resource sometimes. it takes a looooooooooooonng time and very grueling. i'm not saying ek 1001 is not a great exercise, and i do not regret doing it. but now that i'm trying to do tbr after it, i have no motivation to do both and am just burned out.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
So you would say not to bother in my particular case?
Yes. That's what he/she is implying. Pick your poison. Either one will prepare although I think TBR is better because it is passage based and gets you used to thinking critically which is what the MCAT is moving towards. Make a choice and get studying because that is what will improve your score.

chicago88

5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
if you have the time and money to buy both .. maybe. but ek 1001 will take an extremely long time to complete if you really want to understand the problems thoroughly (i'm refering to phys and chem).

at most, i'd do ek 1001 and half of each tbr section. or alternatively, half of ek 1001 problems (by picking a few per concept) and all of tbr.

i think that ek 1001 is better content review, but when you pick up tbr they will still present ways to solve problems that you can't extract from ek 1001. tbr is really good in learning to quickly solve problems.. but you should have a decent background if you really want to get the most out of it.

so i guess, if i were to answer your question, if you have a sufficient content review and have already done practice problems in the past and are not bombing your practices, then i'd do just tbr. if your background is shaky and the practice tests look completely foreign to you, then tbr may not be enough on its own because you may not fully be able to understand the nuisances its presenting.. in which case i'd do some ek 1001 as well (you don't have to do all the problems either.. you can do like 1-2 per concept -- note, not subject, but specific concept presented --) and tbr.

but keep in mind how much time this will all take and that should also impact your decision. as far as doing ALL of tbr and ek 1001, both in terms of time it takes and the likelihood that you will burn out, i do not recommend it.

dingyibvs

Psych!
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
I don't have too much experience with TBR series, but I've read some parts of their physics book. It contains too much information, IMO. I liked the EK book much better. As for Ochem, it's only about 20% of the BS section, so you really don't need 2 books for it. As far as review materials go, the Kaplan course should give you all you need. I'd use the EK1001 for practice problems though.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't forget about the BS Section Tests that Kaplan has online. Those who have used them thought they were excellent prep (7 of'em). ... I think you have more than enough for the BS section (maybe too much?...will you get through it all?). I learned PS better through TBR materials rather than Kaplan's and 1001.

Last edited:

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yes. That's what he/she is implying. Pick your poison. Either one will prepare although i think tbr is better because it is passage based and gets you used to thinking critically which is what the mcat is moving towards. Make a choice and get studying because that is what will improve your score.
+1