NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
I am having trouble with O chem. Has anyone tried the EK 1001 book for O CHEM? What about the regular EK o chem book? Thanks a lot.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
I think everyone has trouble with Ochem. Trick is to just keep doing practice passages. they can only ask u the laws of acid base hydrogenation so many ways!. and the SN2 stuff. all you gotta do is memorize the laws and keep working problems (and making sure to see why u got them wrong). I never really studied Ochem as much as I did bio and physics. but you can do it!!!

OP
NRAI2001

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
I heard from someone today that Alkene and benzene chemistry is no longer tested on the mcat, is this true?

OP
NRAI2001

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
virilep said:
I think everyone has trouble with Ochem. Trick is to just keep doing practice passages. they can only ask u the laws of acid base hydrogenation so many ways!. and the SN2 stuff. all you gotta do is memorize the laws and keep working problems (and making sure to see why u got them wrong). I never really studied Ochem as much as I did bio and physics. but you can do it!!!
I especially have trouble with lab techniques ( i always hated lab).

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
I'm almost done with the EK 1001 ochem book and I can say that it helped me a ton. The book is broken up into 4 chapters and by sections just like the EK ochem book from the Complete Series. They start off easy in each section and then get tougher. My main goal in getting the 1001 EK was to build speed on doing ochem problems and it helps.

I just flipped through the lab questions and they look good based on my 1st semester of ochem lab. some of the problems are based on short passages.

If you are good in ochem this book may seem like a waste but to those that are lost I think it helps in building confidence/speed.

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/update.htm#content

Beginning with the 2003 MCAT administrations the broad structure of the MCAT was maintained, but with the following changes:

Content
Three questions on DNA and genetics were added to the Biological Sciences section. In the biology portion of Biological Sciences, one new topic, "Molecular Biology: Eukaryotes," has been added. Note that this topic falls within the content typically covered in undergraduate introductory science courses. The three additional DNA and genetics questions are included under the topics, "Molecular Biology: Eukaryotes" and "Molecular Biology: DNA and Protein Synthesis."

In the organic chemistry portion of Biological Sciences, the topics, "Oxygen Containing Compounds" and "Hydrocarbons" are reduced by a total of three questions. Under the topics, "Hydrocarbons" and "Oxygen Containing Compounds," sub topics Alkenes, Benzene, Phenols, and Ethers were deleted. Some questions may, however, refer to these sub topics. In such cases, relevant information on these sub topics will be provided.

Structure
To ease time pressure, the Verbal Reasoning section is reduced by five questions. The total number of test passages remains the same, with the reduction occurring within some of the passages on the test. The time limit remains unchanged. The administration order is reversed for the Verbal Reasoning and Physical Sciences sections, so that Physical Sciences is the first section of the morning.

Scoring
Scores of 14 and 15 on Verbal Reasoning are re-instituted (replacing the current top score of "13-15".) A "Total" is reported for the multiple-choice sections (Verbal Reasoning + Biological Sciences + Physical Sciences) conjoined with the Writing Sample score, e.g., 42T, in addition to the individual section scores.

OP
NRAI2001

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
stoleyerscrubz said:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/update.htm#content

Beginning with the 2003 MCAT administrations the broad structure of the MCAT was maintained, but with the following changes:

Content
Three questions on DNA and genetics were added to the Biological Sciences section. In the biology portion of Biological Sciences, one new topic, "Molecular Biology: Eukaryotes," has been added. Note that this topic falls within the content typically covered in undergraduate introductory science courses. The three additional DNA and genetics questions are included under the topics, "Molecular Biology: Eukaryotes" and "Molecular Biology: DNA and Protein Synthesis."

In the organic chemistry portion of Biological Sciences, the topics, "Oxygen Containing Compounds" and "Hydrocarbons" are reduced by a total of three questions. Under the topics, "Hydrocarbons" and "Oxygen Containing Compounds," sub topics Alkenes, Benzene, Phenols, and Ethers were deleted. Some questions may, however, refer to these sub topics. In such cases, relevant information on these sub topics will be provided.

Structure
To ease time pressure, the Verbal Reasoning section is reduced by five questions. The total number of test passages remains the same, with the reduction occurring within some of the passages on the test. The time limit remains unchanged. The administration order is reversed for the Verbal Reasoning and Physical Sciences sections, so that Physical Sciences is the first section of the morning.

Scoring
Scores of 14 and 15 on Verbal Reasoning are re-instituted (replacing the current top score of "13-15".) A "Total" is reported for the multiple-choice sections (Verbal Reasoning + Biological Sciences + Physical Sciences) conjoined with the Writing Sample score, e.g., 42T, in addition to the individual section scores.

So will Alkenes, Benzene, Phenols, and Ethers not be tested on or are the amount of questions based on these topics just reduced?