sailinx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Status
I bought "Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning" for preparing DAT verbal section. I am realizing now that the format seems to be different:
1. The MCAT Verbal section has shorter passages (about 1/2 the size on DAT)
2. The passages seems like relatively harder (I would like to get some input on this) for DAT
3. Most of the question require some sort of inferencing approach, nothing is straight forward like lookup and answer.

I would like to get your input regarding:
1. How are the RC questions on DAT (i.e. Simple lookups, inference etc. or combination and also in what ratio) ?
2. Is it worth spending the time on this book for preparing DAT verbal section ? If not, what are the other options, Kaplan Blue book has very limited RC section (I think 3 or 4 passages) ?

Thanks in advance.
Sailinx

TX Hopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Status
sailinx said:
I bought "Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning" for preparing DAT verbal section. I am realizing now that the format seems to be different:
1. The MCAT Verbal section has shorter passages (about 1/2 the size on DAT)
2. The passages seems like relatively harder (I would like to get some input on this) for DAT
3. Most of the question require some sort of inferencing approach, nothing is straight forward like lookup and answer.

I would like to get your input regarding:
1. How are the RC questions on DAT (i.e. Simple lookups, inference etc. or combination and also in what ratio) ?
2. Is it worth spending the time on this book for preparing DAT verbal section ? If not, what are the other options, Kaplan Blue book has very limited RC section (I think 3 or 4 passages) ?

Thanks in advance.
Sailinx
I also bought the EK 101 MCAT Verbal Reasoning Passages book in preparation for the DAT. I soon realized the same thing that you did...that the passages were shorter, and the questions were primarily interpretation.

The RC on the DAT is not like the MCAT. Most of the questions are look up, although be prepared for some inferences and interpretation...but there aren't too many. I had some like "The final sentence of this passage could be..."

So, I really didn't use this book except maybe once. All I used to study RC were practice tests. I've never done well on verbal sections of standardized tests, but I scored a 20 on the RC of the DAT. It's a matter of being quick and recalling where in the passage you saw certain concepts and key words. I would recommend Topscore which is the closest you'll get to the actual DAT.