EK 101 VR Passages, Test 6 question 6.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6FX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can narrow down the choices to B or D, but I chose the wrong answer. The question asks what can be inferred from the passage, but i cant seem to get past what seems like a marketing scheme. The right answer is "to get children to play more video games and watch more tv" rather than "to sell more video games"

Members don't see this ad.

I can narrow down the choices to B or D, but I chose the wrong answer. The question asks what can be inferred from the passage, but i cant seem to get past what seems like a marketing scheme. The right answer is "to get children to play more video games and watch more tv" rather than "to sell more video games"

EK verbal is tricky at times. Just read their reasoning, which is really good, I don't know how people can help you on this forum with this type of questions.

EK verbal is tricky at times. Just read their reasoning, which is really good, I don't know how people can help you on this forum with this type of questions.

(I think his question makes sense, since not everyone likes all the explanations offered by EK)

Anyway, I didn't have trouble with that question (unlike a couple of the other ones in that passage!).

My reasoning was as follows:

The passage also states that "It is important to note that video game violence has evolved with violence in other media (i.e., television, movies). The fact that ... these media have become closely intertwined cannot be overlooked"

From the above I get the idea that whatever happens to television, happens to video games as well. If one market does well, so does the other ('intertwined').

And then further down on the page it states "video games, television, and film have been used to create an all-encompassing popular culture for children. ... The three share common subject matter and are used to market a specific set of characters. ..."

Bingo! What does this mean? Spiderman on TV, Spiderman movies, Spiderman video games! A child gets one and wants to buy all the others. Starts crying to mommy. And so on.

(I find that sometimes specific examples help me think more clearly than abstract words)