EK 16 Mini Mcats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Give me vicodin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do u guys think of this book?
ive taken few of the tests and i find the biology parts pretty tricky. what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

what do u guys think of this book?
ive taken few of the tests and i find the biology parts pretty tricky. what are your thoughts?

I didn't like it much. I thought the difficulty was far beyond the MCAT. That being said....EK does give you excellent prep. There questions are beyong Kaplans even but they are so thorough that when you are done, the MCAT seems like the breeze.

I would stick with the normal EK books before you start doing their 1001's or 101s. I used Kaplan test bank and it was quite sufficient.

I did a few of these for the MCAT last year, but I found it too difficult (Some of the questions they ask, the background info is nowhere to be found in the actual examkrackers manuals). I didn't like this set :thumbdown:....but maybe I'm just an idiot. :eek:

And the kid on the cover has got to be 12. makes me angry....

I'm not sure if i want to bother using them now, i dont need any more blows to my confidence.

How are the verbal passages though?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got destroyed by the first verbal section, that canine passage still doesnt make much sense to me.

the best thing about the 1001 Biology book from EK is that it keeps you on your toes (like the other poster said). It makes u see how clues are hidden in the passage to answer questions successfully. Also...the information/answer explanations, are more like a textbook by themselves, as they review stuff that's been seen on previous MCATS, so its like part II of EK Bio book. I went through every single passage in there and it REALLYYY helped me out cuz it made the BIO section a breeze...not because I understood every single detail in the actual MCAT passages I took in bio, but because I was used to seenig how to find the correct answer, or even a few questions which were almost direct quotations from the book.

If you can put ur ego aside and just do the questions...or better yet, just read the passages, see how you would normally answer it w/o lookin at the answer explanations..then go back thru and see how they derived the correct answer..thats the best prep ever!!! U can do this for a few passages and then just read the passage and look directly at the answer explanations for the remainder of the passages...and it really helps, i'm tellin u!

how did you end up doing on the BS part for mcats

I'll let you know next week. I dont have my scores yet ...i took the May 25th exam and i felt pretty confident on it (especially since it was concentrated on molecular genetics/advanced bio topics verses organic.

I stopped doing them too. The verbal was insanely difficult and the poorly written questions didn't help much.

And I have to agree with the other poster who was angered by the 12 year olds on the cover. As a non-trad, I found it to be depressing. :(

even though they are difficult, i think the information is still somewhat helpful. I mean it's like an extra 30 min test because they tell you what lectures each mini mcat test applies to. For some reason I feel like I'm the only one that don't mind it haha.