EK 1g, yikes!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just took the EK 1g verbal exam and ended up with a 7!!! I was schocked since I have consitently been scoring in the 9-10 range on the PR and AAMC tests. Did anyone else have this problem? Should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

Just practice 30min-1 hour a day until April. EVERYDAY! YOUR SCORE IS IRRELEVANT now!

What matters is the big MCAT score. consistent practice makes perfect.

Sorry disregard my post that I previously posted.

Just keep practicing your verbal.

beponychick said:
Hi guys,

I just took the EK 1g verbal exam and ended up with a 7!!! I was schocked since I have consitently been scoring in the 9-10 range on the PR and AAMC tests. Did anyone else have this problem? Should I be worried?

Yeah I had a similar experience, I took an AAMC test with no studying and got a 27, then studied for 2 months before I took the EK full length that came with their package and got a 27 on that. They are a little tougher and scored harder I think. I did much better on the real deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they made everything in that test harder than it should be. Jordan said on EK's site "That said, there are certain things that you should look to those tests for, and other things that you should not look to them for. Specifically, I would encourage you not to put too much stock in your score performance on those tests. We designed those tests to be teaching tools, and as such, your score is not entirely indicative of how well you should do on the MCAT (only recent AAMC tests should be used for that). But what you should use those tests for is:

1. Approximate the experience of taking the MCAT. The MCAT is a physically and mentally demanding task. Taking any of our practice tests is likewise so.

2. Our tests (as does the real MCAT) foucs only on the "core" science, so you can use your taking of those tests, and your review of them, as review of pertinent science concepts. Which also means that if you get a question wrong because you didn't know the science, then you should take that cue to go back to the material and reexamine that concept(s). "

I score 8's and 9's on 101 but dropped down to a 7 on this one (32/60). :mad:

yeah, that's a tough one. i think i got like an 8 on it... just keep practicing. i got an 11 on the real thing. no worries. just study.

I just took it this morning and got a 32, although I feel like I just got worked over in all the sections. I also took the 6r a couple weeks ago and got a 35, so there's a 3 point difference between the tests even after studying the subjects that I missed on the 6r.

i got a 10 on the verbal, which seemed to be harder than the tests in the 101 book.

I scored a 7 on the verbal portion on the 2nd passage I got all 8 questions wrong and it was an "easy read". Starting the AAMCs soon

1g is harder than anything you will see on the real MCAT. I made a 27 on 1g, then made a 36 on the real MCAT. I was really depressed after 1g, but then I realized it was such an overkill on everything...don't worry about it.

For more accurate testing, you should take the AAMC tests (www.e-mcat.com) rather than rely on Kaplan, Princeton, or ExamKrackers to supply their own tests. Just an idea...good luck to all of you MCATing this April!! :luck:

I got 9P, 8B, 7V. I thought that verbal was much harder than the 101... I have taken all 3 EK exams and all my verbal scores on those tests are lower than those from 101.

I'm so glad I did not buy more EK exams like I was planning. I start AAMC exams saturday though. Thanks!

Prophecies said:
1g is harder than anything you will see on the real MCAT. I made a 27 on 1g, then made a 36 on the real MCAT. I was really depressed after 1g, but then I realized it was such an overkill on everything...don't worry about it.

For more accurate testing, you should take the AAMC tests (www.e-mcat.com) rather than rely on Kaplan, Princeton, or ExamKrackers to supply their own tests. Just an idea...good luck to all of you MCATing this April!! :luck:

I'm glad to see this thread on 1-g. I didn't do quite as well on this one compared to the first AAMC test I took (6R I believe). It's helpful to know that others found it a bit more difficult. I dropped a couple of points, but at this stage I want ALL my practice test scores to be going UP! It's interesting to read that most consider the EK, Kaplan, TPR tests a bit harder than AAMC. I guess they are making it harder so we nail the MCAT on test day. It helps to keep things in perspective. I'm saving the remaining AAMC tests until the last few weeks, and will use TPR and Kaplan tests until then. Keep practicing all! :luck:

1g is a mofo of a test. I posted my lowest verbal score ever on that test, lower than a practice test I took six months before.

Did anyone do it untimed? I took around 90-95 minutes to get it done and got 11 wrong, which is translated into a 11. If it were timed I would probably end up with a 10, I guess :mad: . Did anyone score a 12 or higher on this test? It is somewhat harder than EK101 and passages from TPR, though not extremely so.

richardlo said:
Did anyone do it untimed? I took around 90-95 minutes to get it done and got 11 wrong, which is translated into a 11. If it were timed I would probably end up with a 10, I guess :mad: . Did anyone score a 12 or higher on this test? It is somewhat harder than EK101 and passages from TPR, though not extremely so.

I am talking about the verbal score (11/15), not 11/45... :scared:

i was tempted to go over on the verbal but at this point I have to stick to the timer so I can get my timing down.

richardlo said:
I am talking about the verbal score (11/15), not 11/45... :scared:

I know everyone thinks we should disregard the actual numbers on this test, but...
AAMC 3R: 10P, 12V, 9B
AAMC 4R: 8P, 12V, 10B
EK 1g: 9P, 9V, 14B <------- ??????