EK and their childish mindgames

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that EK is playing games with their readers, or potential readers? It seems that they are in it for the money. They constantly put down the other test prep companies with logic, that upon further inspection, is often flawed.

I like their materials, but I am getting sick of this. They think they are hot shizit.

They also claim that their books have less errata than others, from my experience, they don't. They are just trying to cover their lack of editing. It seems like they rushed themselves to get the product out and this lack of caring lead to many errors, like forgetting to include passages or diagrams. Many of the their errors are obvious that could have been prevented very easily. Yes, all books have errors, but I can't think of any other books that, if they listed them, would have lists pages and pages long.

Just think about it, don't let them brainwash you.

Members don't see this ad.

EK does throw out a lot of hot air at times, but its what you'd expect out of a dwarf among the giants of test prep (TPR, Kaplan). That said, their science materials (with the exception of their explanation of Energy in Chemistry/Physics Lecture 3) are excellent. I especially appreciate the color and readibility.

As for errata, all I know is that they are the only company that posts the corrections on their message board, which is another resource that you won't find elsewhere. Also, I think it's unfair to judge the accuracy of the materials from just the mere presence of EK's errata pages along with the absence of errata pages from other test prep companies.

Don't let them brainwash you? That's funny stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I am using EK, I have the books and AO. I like their product, espicially the color.

I just they would stop talking about how great they think they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from someone who took the MCAT several times, and took 2 PR prep courses(free thru summer programs), and later used EK material and finally understood what the MCAT was all about. i can say they have every right to say whatever, EK saved my life and got me into medical school :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :clap:

I tend to agree. They are able to make these statements simply because they kick major ass. :) I really do not believe that anyone can even come close to comparing with EK and their stuff.

The conciseness of the EK books makes them very good for reviewing. However, some of the material is not so well written. This happens in spurts, maybe because different authors were responsible for different sections. On these occasions, I used a textbook help me through.

The review questions and the in-class exams are great as a study aid and were for me even more helpful after taking some real MCATs. And yes, the diagrams are magnificent, and the running commentary/summary provided the cartoon character, Salty, is very, very useful.

The key is to combine EK with real textbooks and lots of practice with actual MCATs. Each has its own purpose. You'll be golden if you use them together.