EK biology 1001

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody using this in conjucntion with exam krackers MCAT biology book with all the lectures? I have found that even though the passages have the same lecture titles as the lecture book the material doesnt really correlate. For example. I did the lecture on Molecular biology and cell respiration. I took the 30 min test on it and got a 9. Then I decided to do the 1001 questions from that lecture. I read the passage answer the questiosn but notice that even though this lecture only covers molecular biology and cell respiration, they ask alot of misc details that are not in the passage or in the lecture from the book. How in the hell am i supposed to know that the kidney works in conjunction with the lungs to excrete acidic metabolites and regulate acid base buffer stores. THe passage did not mention this at all. Anybody else running into this type of problem?

Members don't see this ad.

EK is notorious for testing you on things not covered in the chapters.

I just started doing the EK1001s, but this was after I had covered all the subject books. I'm not really abiding by their 10 week plan.

there's the occasional question with information not in the lectures but by and large it correlates well. Use them more for practice than as assessments of how well you learned things and you'll be fine.

Use it for practice, not for checking on how you've learned things. If you get a problem wrong, READ the answer explanation and learn from it. You can actually learn a lot by just going through and doing the entire book, as long as you read ALL of the answer explanations, right or wrong. The reason I recommend this is that the answer explanations also discuss each WRONG choice in addition to the right choice, so you can learn new facts somewhat unrelated to the right answer, and sometimes, the entire passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody using this in conjucntion with exam krackers MCAT biology book with all the lectures? I have found that even though the passages have the same lecture titles as the lecture book the material doesnt really correlate. For example. I did the lecture on Molecular biology and cell respiration. I took the 30 min test on it and got a 9. Then I decided to do the 1001 questions from that lecture. I read the passage answer the questiosn but notice that even though this lecture only covers molecular biology and cell respiration, they ask alot of misc details that are not in the passage or in the lecture from the book. How in the hell am i supposed to know that the kidney works in conjunction with the lungs to excrete acidic metabolites and regulate acid base buffer stores. THe passage did not mention this at all. Anybody else running into this type of problem?

I love this about EK :rolleyes:... maybe this is why it seems so much more difficult than PR passages?

OTOH, I have a hunch that the actual MCAT will be much more similar to these EK style integrative passages than the more specific PR passages.

But yeah, EK seems to love doing this, across all their subjects. The good thing is though, that I find myself learning all sorts of random "high yield" facts while practicing these passages, which is nice. The one about the liver/lungs, I think the take away pt there is that loss of CO2 is a way to adjust acidity/basicity.

I love this about EK :rolleyes:... maybe this is why it seems so much more difficult than PR passages?

OTOH, I have a hunch that the actual MCAT will be much more similar to these EK style integrative passages than the more specific PR passages.

But yeah, EK seems to love doing this, across all their subjects. The good thing is though, that I find myself learning all sorts of random "high yield" facts while practicing these passages, which is nice. The one about the liver/lungs, I think the take away pt there is that loss of CO2 is a way to adjust acidity/basicity.

I agree...EK bio passages/questions are quite similar to AAMC publications. Of course they tend ask questions that are more outside-knowledge based. Which is a wonderful thing if you are trying to increase your understanding of Bio.

Think about it this way...would you rather feel inadequate while sitting at home doin practice tests or in front of the computer on test day?

in my opinion:

EK 1001 BIO = :thumbup:
EK 101 Verbal = :thumbup:
EK 1001 Physics = :thumbdown:
EK 1001 Chem = :thumbdown:
EK 1001 Orgo = don't want to find out:D