1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

EK Biology Error

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by futuredoctor10, Dec 26, 2008.

1. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the EK Biology Content book, I think there is an error in Lecture 3 Microbiology, Section 3.7 Bacterial Envelope on p. 64-67.

The book says gram-positive bacterium have a periplasmic space.
    "Gram-positive bacteria have a cell wall that is approximately four times thicker than the plasma membrane. The space between the plasma membrane and the cell wall is called the periplasmic space."

"In gram-negative bacteria, the periplasmic space is the space between the two membranes."

I always learned gram positive bacteria have a plasma membrane and cell wall, while gram negative bacteria have a plasma membrane, cell wall, periplasmic space, and outer membrane. Thus I thought the periplasmic space + outer membrane are unique to gram-negative bacteria.

What should we go by for the MCAT?

Online sources also indicated that "periplasmic space" is absent in gram positive bacteria so is EK wrong?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.