1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

EK Biology Error

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by futuredoctor10, Dec 26, 2008.

1. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the EK Biology Content book, I think there is an error in Lecture 3 Microbiology, Section 3.7 Bacterial Envelope on p. 64-67.

The book says gram-positive bacterium have a periplasmic space.
    "Gram-positive bacteria have a cell wall that is approximately four times thicker than the plasma membrane. The space between the plasma membrane and the cell wall is called the periplasmic space."

"In gram-negative bacteria, the periplasmic space is the space between the two membranes."

I always learned gram positive bacteria have a plasma membrane and cell wall, while gram negative bacteria have a plasma membrane, cell wall, periplasmic space, and outer membrane. Thus I thought the periplasmic space + outer membrane are unique to gram-negative bacteria.

What should we go by for the MCAT?

Online sources also indicated that "periplasmic space" is absent in gram positive bacteria so is EK wrong?