EK Biology - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

For those of you who've taken several practice tests and have read the EK Biology book....

IS THERE ANY QUESTION THAT YOU'VE RUN INTO THAT HAS NOT BEEN COVERED BY THE EK BIOLOGY BOOK?

Here's why I ask. I intend to study the Kaplan book cover to cover, and the EK BIo and EK Org books cover to cover. I want to make sure that I don't get asked something that I've never heard of.

For example - the first time I heard of acetylcholinesterase was on a damn test, never heard of it before. I was assuming that it was an enzyme that would help catalyze the creation of acetylcholine....well, turns out it catalyzes the breakdown of acetylcholine. How intuitive.....NOT

Anyway, I'd appreciate any answers. PEACE

Members don't see this ad.

almost all the mcat review books on bio that i have seen are incomplete...that is why i am rereading the textbooks!

I read some of the review books in bio...they were missing a lot of important information...So if you feel that you are in a similar situation I am...go for the texts.

Some people have told me that the review books got them good scores...that could be because of thier strong bio background.

however, the review books in the physical sciences are complete.

For physiology, I am reading Vander's 9th edition
mol bio and biochem: garretts/grishams
microbio: Brock's Biology of Microorganisms
genetics: Brooker
anatomy (although not necessary, but has good stuff on embryology): Van de Graff

does anyone know any good book on cell bio?

hope this helps.

there was a question on retrotransposons...and it was not based on any passage on one of my tests.

i didnt know wut the heck that was until i looked it up in a textbook.

Originally posted by TripleDegree
Hi folks

For those of you who've taken several practice tests and have read the EK Biology book....

IS THERE ANY QUESTION THAT YOU'VE RUN INTO THAT HAS NOT BEEN COVERED BY THE EK BIOLOGY BOOK?

Here's why I ask. I intend to study the Kaplan book cover to cover, and the EK BIo and EK Org books cover to cover. I want to make sure that I don't get asked something that I've never heard of.

For example - the first time I heard of acetylcholinesterase was on a damn test, never heard of it before. I was assuming that it was an enzyme that would help catalyze the creation of acetylcholine....well, turns out it catalyzes the breakdown of acetylcholine. How intuitive.....NOT

Anyway, I'd appreciate any answers. PEACE

You should have heard about acetylcholinesterase in general bio. If you didn't, your prof wasn't very thorough. Of all the sections, I think bio probably has the most "trivia" type questions that can be asked...but the people above are right, every review book is going to have holes in it. They are after all, for reviewing materials you've seen in texts/classes. It's quite likely you'll get asked something you've never seen before (or have just heard of once), but they should give you enough info to answer the q's.