EK Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow April MCATers

Has anyone gone through the Genetics chapter of the EK Biology book? Is it just me or is this really hard to understand?

In general - it seems that the Bio book is written at a much more difficult level than say the Kaplan big book.

Do others agree - or is it just my relative Bio inexperience thats the cause?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

TD-
I had some difficulty with the genetics, but I attribute that to me and not to EK. I don't really "get" genetics, so I'll really have to focus on that area.
Kaplan 2004 does a really good job with it; I'm using Kaplan as my guide and only supplementing with the EK info. The one other thing I'd like to say, with regards to EK in general is that they put in a lot of filler - I'm trying to be careful not to try to memorize the stuff that is not MCAT essential.
Merry Christmas or whatever holiday.

dc

Not to necessarily repeat myself - but I am still struggling with the EK Genetics chapter.

Can anyone point me to either a study strategy, or a quick basic web site that would help me understand some of the concepts better?

My head is spinning..... :)

Hey,

I don't really have much advise but I've also found EK Biology somewhat difficult to read. It seems that they are trying to stay as brief as possible by leaving out explanations and just presenting a million of facts. I thought that this was because I skipped general bio. I might use a textbook for the sections in biology I can't understand. I heard Campbell's book is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
i never took any genetics courses, so i had to go back to certain chapters of campbell to review the material. once i went through it at a slower pace, it made sense. try going back to your bio book or check out a genetics text from the library. when you go back to ek and it won't seem so bad.

Yeah, thats what I'm going to do. There's a lot of reading between the lines that one has to do with the EK book if u're not a bio major

There are two ways you can do this.

The short way is to search for genetic lecture on internet, there are a lot of them.

The long way is to buy a genetic book and look for the stuff you don't understand.

EK biology should be easy if you took second year biology courses.

Campbell's Bio is an excellent source...I am about to start the gen section in the EK Bio book. If you have any questions you can post them here and Im sure someone will be able to help you.
Good luck

Thanks for suggestions and encouragement folks.

On eighth reading [:)], I was able to *master* that section in the book. Nothing like sweat (and tears) to overcome obstacles.