EK books (NOT 101) and kaplan section tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a kaplan course right now, so I have all the kaplan materials. But basically, aside from the topical tests and the section tests, there isn't anything else if I need further practice on PS or BS. I seem to be doing fine on PS (consistently 12-13), but my BS is at 10-11, and it seems to me like I'm just gonna need a lot of practice to improve that section (just judging from teh kinds of mistakes I make on my practice tests). But if I do need further practice in BS or PS, how accurate are the EK series books.. for example EK1001 (I think that's the bio one)? Are they good to use if you just simply need more practice material?

Also, for the kaplan section tests, I've heard rumors that they are basically jsut passages from the full-lengths. Is this true?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Theres EK1001 for all sections.

1001 bio is good because its passage formats. People say its harder than the actual thing but I think its pretty on par.

1001 Orgo is garbage. No passages and full of worthless information.

1001 Physics & Chem isn't too bad. Again no passages, just standalone questions. Good for reinforcement of concepts.

Also, for the kaplan section tests, I've heard rumors that they are basically jsut passages from the full-lengths. Is this true?!?
I haven't done all the Kaplan section tests so I can't answer this question. However I have heard from some others on the forum and the consensus is that only FL2 uses passages from some of the section tests. So I think you would not see any overlap on FLs 1 and 3-12 with the section tests.

For Bio definitely check out the EK Bio 1001, so many recommend it although I haven't used it personally. Also check out the High Yield Guide for Bio - alot of people are so-so on the High Yield Guide - but it helped me understand fetal circulation and a few other topics. (And the Bio flashcards that come with the Kaplan course- great way to memorize basic facts/info you have to know for the MCAT. I used some of them for the chapters I needed additional review in)

hmm, so is it a consensus that it's generally a good idea to take a look at 1001 bio, as opposed to whatever kaplan has?

I know EK101 VR is def a must-have for VR if you need more practice (especially since Kaplan isn't very good for VR). Is this the same situation with 1001 bio?

Members don't see this ad :)
1001 Orgo is garbage. No passages and full of worthless information.

On the contrary, I found Orgo 1001 to be very beneficial to me. Maybe because I sucked at Organic chemistry in the first place, and I needed some major supplement.

EK verbal and physics are pretty tough .As for, bio and chemistry, well, they're my best subjects (unlike physics and verbal, GRRRRRRR VERBAL). Bio came easy, because it's my best subject, but aside from verbal 101, it's EK's best. I'm not capable of answering all 101 passages correctly, but my bio score is roughly decent. Chemistry 1001 in my opinion is not as useful - because most of it is too easy with an occasional diffult stand alones. That's probably how you thought of orgo chem 1001 engineeredout, probably.

Last edited:
hmm, so is it a consensus that it's generally a good idea to take a look at 1001 bio, as opposed to whatever kaplan has?

I know EK101 VR is def a must-have for VR if you need more practice (especially since Kaplan isn't very good for VR). Is this the same situation with 1001 bio?
I wouldn't necessarily say that Bio 1001 is better to look at than what Kaplan has. I just know alot of people (not in Kaplan) recommend the EK Bio 1001 as a good method to help boost BS scores.

I found Kaplan's BS material (in the textbook) to be very detailed, certainly comprehensive. I just used the Kaplan books and feel very prepared when I take AAMCs, their FLs, etc. I'd say only get EK 1001 if you have trouble in BS?