EK books ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waterboobies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used EK's Verbal 101 and Chem 1001 books??
Are the EK books better than the Kaplan material??

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

i'm wondering the same thing, i have the kaplan material but then maybe i should forget that and use EK instead?? i duno =\

but shouldn't kaplan be enough material they have al ot of ****

but then i duno they almost have TOO MUCH ****, maybe EK is more compact

I have the EK series of books. I can't compare them to Kaplan but they generally seem a little more cutsie with salty the saltine or whatever the cartoon's name is. They aren't bad books though. I like how they organize stuff and use colors, italiaces, etc. for how much you need to know the information. (This is the series...not regular verbal 101) I actually use these books in conjunction with my physiology and chem courses as is..gives me a different perspective. Some of the stuff is a little densely written though..I can't recommend anything since I don't have exposure to the kaplan stuff...but my experience with kaplan for lsat books was that they were very dry. EK likes a more conversational tone with things....or tries to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you need a quick review of the material, EK is the best. If you need more detailed info, then I would say use Kaplan or better yet TPR.

EK Verbal 101 is great practice for the Verbal. Just follow it up with AAMC practice tests.

Personally, I am using TPR to review and NOVA Physcis with some EK scattered in and Kaplan topical tests. Followed up with AAMCs

I would suggest know the material, but just as important is the ability to critically think through the test.

Learn it and then practice, practice, and practice some more!!

Lastly, pray!!

I think the EK 1001 Verbal and EK 1001 Biology are awesome. The set of books I think is alright. I like how detailed the PR books are in comparison.

But is detail even that important for the MCAT?
I liked using the cutesy SAT prep CD, and I'm embarrased to say, but I liked the little talking minorty guy and his lame jokes =\

I used only the ExamKrackers books to study for the mcat. They're easy to read and manageable. I don't even know where to start with the Kaplan/PR material because there's just too dang much of it! There's plenty of practice tests and you can download extra tests from amcas. When I took the mcat I felt like I had studied too much info. I studied more than enough, everything in the books was on the test. I swear by ExamKrackers now.

I used only the ExamKrackers books to study for the mcat. They're easy to read and manageable. I don't even know where to start with the Kaplan/PR material because there's just too dang much of it! There's plenty of practice tests and you can download extra tests from amcas. When I took the mcat I felt like I had studied too much info. I studied more than enough, everything in the books was on the test. I swear by ExamKrackers now.

what score did u get?

Haven't used the 101/10001 series, but I did use the EK review books.

I took the TPR class and had the EK books.

No comparison, EK blows TPR out of the water.

WHY learn twice as much as you need to???? Follow the EK study guide.

I have both Kaplan and EK, and they each have their strengths and drawbacks. Personally, if I had to go with just 1, I would go with Kaplan. I just found their material more comprehensive and thus easier to understand and relearn. EK is really bare-bones, and I don't think I would be doing so well if I had done just EK. Then again, I really had to re-learn a LOT of stuff. EK may be better if you are not too far removed from your prereq courses. It igives you mostly everything you need to know (I hope) in condensed form. I did all the Kaplan first, and now I'm just doing a quick 2nd round of review with EK (1 topic/week) and it's worked really well for me.

As for the format, it's a question of preference. Kaplan is really dry, but I don't really mind that. I didn't like the tone of EK (too snarky for my taste), but having color and lots of pics and diagrams is very helpful. One GREAT thing about EK is that they tell you outright what you don't need to memorize and what you need to know cold, so you don't waste your time and don't get overwhelmed. As for Salty, I feel like he's the EK equivalent of the Microsoft paperclip. Most of the time he's just annoying, but every once in a while he has just what you need.

Wow, long post. Anyway, I would say go for Kaplan if you need more in-depth review (out of school for a while, or weak pre-reqs). If you already have a solid background w/ your prereqs, EK is probably best. And if you can afford it (or can borrow material from friends), get the best of both worlds.

Haven't used the 101/10001 series, but I did use the EK review books.

I took the TPR class and had the EK books.

No comparison, EK blows TPR out of the water.

WHY learn twice as much as you need to???? Follow the EK study guide.

Think I might do that.. don't you feel guilty/conned for wasting money on the PR course though?