EK CARS (Reasoning Skills) Book Discrepancy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geauxmed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone that read through this book noticed that Lecture 1 states not to get distracted during a passage by taking notes or mapping a passage, but then Lecture 4 focuses on constructing a "spectrum" while reading a passage?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that read through this book noticed that Lecture 1 states not to get distracted during a passage by taking notes or mapping a passage, but then Lecture 4 focuses on constructing a "spectrum" while reading a passage?

The spectrum is supposed to be for practice only; you aren't supposed to do this on the real thing. It's just an exercise to help you identify patterns.

That being said. I barely applied anything that I learned from EK on the real thing, and I did well in CARS. If you are naturally good at analyzing texts, I would say forget what they tell you to do (except for maybe how to identify patterns in wrong answer choices and reading in an animated voice -- both of those were pretty useful). I just read slowly and really made sure to process what I was reading. This worked for me.