anbuitachi

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi can someone please explain this to me?

which of the following species has an unpaired electron in its ground-state electronic configuration?
A) Ne
b) Ca+
C.) Na+
D.) O2-

I chose C cause Na in it's ground state has 1 valence electron in the s orbital so its unpaired. But the answer is B.

But since it's wrong ground state obviously mean including the charge in this case? I thought ground state e. configuration is for chargeless elements?

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can see what you were thinking when you chose B, but they mean ground state as in the atom/ion is not excited, and all of the electrons are in their lowest possible energy level.

In this case, everything but Ca+ has a completed outermost energy shell/noble gas configuration/no unpaired electrons. Ca needs to become Ca 2+ to achieve noble gas configuration, so that Ca+ ion is probably pretty pissed about it and desperately wants to shake off that last, unpaired electron.

wagmanager

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2008
Status
you can just count the number of electrons the atom would normally have and add or subtract electrons as needed(depending on the charge) for cations or anions, this leaves na+ with 10, ca+ with 19 , o2- with 18, ne with 10, the one with the odd number of electrons will have unpaired electrons. so answer is ca+