EK Chemistry vs Kaplan Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

I'm looking for some suggestions here. I just finished Kaplan Biochem and was very impressed with it. However, I've read it has a lot of unnecessary detail (In my case, this was good, because I had never taken a Biochem course before). I currently have the EK 2015 MCAT Set, so the Chemistry book is already in my possession. Will it be sufficient, or should I consider getting Kaplan Chemistry Book? I was fairly discouraged by how big the Kaplan book was in comparison to the EK Chemistry book when I looked at it in Barnes and Noble. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I only have experience with Kaplan Chemistry so I can't speak about EK but Kaplan does have nice self-check exams at the end of each chapter so you can assess basically if you need to review the chapter or not.

EK does the same with respect to the self check exams. I can't speak to Kaplan, but I have been very happy with EK chem. I just took biochem last semester though so I may be biased

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan is a piece of crap in my opinion. Their end of the chapter problems test tiny minutiae that don't even matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan is a piece of crap in my opinion. Their end of the chapter problems test tiny minutiae that don't even matter.

Entirely correct, but they are good to assess your knowledge of the material. For instance, I took many of the end-of-chapter quizzes before I did the chapter to see if I needed to review the chapter. If I scored <5 wrong, I looked at the specific concepts I got wrong and then moved on. If I scored >5 wrong, I went through the chapter carefully. 5 is, of course, an arbitrary number, but I figure that one should get most of the questions right if one understands the concept. The others are due to minute details that nobody will remember. Except one kid I encountered on here who wanted to memorize all the little factoids.

Except one kid I encountered on here who wanted to memorize all the little factoids.

Which I doubt would even help you with the exam. The MCAT is mostly a big picture exam. Don't think they really care if you know exactly where the endolymph is. LOL

Which I doubt would even help you with the exam. The MCAT is mostly a big picture exam. Don't think they really care if you know exactly where the endolymph is. LOL

Trust me, I tried that line ;) Didn't work. But hey, if he/she has hundreds of extra hours to spend doing something useless, who am I to stop them?