EK Physics 1001 and Chem 1001...what's the concensus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashkan33

expert timewaster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been through the berkeley and TPR books already while i was studying for the mcat the first time, but i find it useless to go over it again since so many times i know the answer before i finish the question. i was wondering how the chem and physucks 1001 match up to the other materials. would they suffice if i were to study those two for the PS entirely or would i be yearning for more...?

any advice will help,

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ashkan33
Hey all,

I've been through the berkeley and TPR books already while i was studying for the mcat the first time, but i find it useless to go over it again since so many times i know the answer before i finish the question. i was wondering how the chem and physucks 1001 match up to the other materials. would they suffice if i were to study those two for the PS entirely or would i be yearning for more...?

any advice will help,

thanks

Are you taking the MCAT in August? You definately won't be yearning for more, but you definately WILL be yearning for less if you use PhySUCKS1001 :D I am using that book myself.

chem 1001 book is too easy. Physics 1001 is ok in some sections(optics, fluids) but too easy in others(forces, kinematics). Do selected parts of the physics.....I'd skip the chem.

The 1001 books are meant to drill on the basics of the lectures. They serve to stomp the formulae into your mind and to teach you how to think about the mcat style problems. They don't seem like they were meant to be practice mcat problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find some of the explanations for the 1001 Phy to be kinda flakey.:rolleyes:

Hey,

I'm just finishing physics 1001. It is good for getting you to learn how to think about physics problems, but the problems are sometimes a bit simple. Definitely not enough to be used by itself, maybe it would be enough to go through 1001, and then go through a bunch of exams.

The 1001 questions definitely helped me to think differently.

As for the explanations being simple: they sometimes are, but for most of the ones with simple explanations you can check the examkrackers website bulletin board. The authors answer questions there, and you can usually find the problem you're looking for already asked by someone else; failing that you could post a message yourself, and wait for the reply.

hope I've helped a bit

Cheers,

Silenthunder

I've found the Physics very helpful myself; it really pounds the concepts into. It's not a "Cure all" for your PS woes, but IMHO it can definitely help you.

Can't hurt right? If buying the book only raised you one point in PS would you think it was worth it? That's my attitude; every little bit helps...

Never heard of 1001 books....could you please eleborate on these books for physics and chem?

thanks

I disagree that the 1001 Physics is simplistic. Some of the problems--especially tension, etc, can be conceptually wicked.

I think my favorite is the biology 1001. The organic is very simple at first. Freakishly simple. My general guideline is 100-150 questions when I sit down the book. Bio it takes MUCH longer to reach my goal than the other books. Like others said, they are good to hammer basic concepts that might be fuzzy home. The basics are the building blocks for the rest though.