Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

EK PHYSICS... vs. NOVA physics to do or not to do

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by christian15213, Apr 20, 2007.

1. christian15213

christian15213 Banned Banned

Jul 28, 2006
    Miami
    OK, just wondering time is ticking to that 31st of May date. I have done the first part of EK physics and IMO I am not that upset with it. I HATE how EK loves to babel on about something and then test on another thing which they never taught you in the first place. Bio wasn't bad but then the CHEMISTRY towards the end got rediculous. I was wondering where they even got the questions from? I scored well 10's 11's or 12's on every sections but I saw some serious issues with their explanation methods. However, my background was strong enought to overcome a lot of it.

With that said, what is everyone's opinion for those of you who stuck with the EK including the physics portion? Did you need a lot of extra material? was EK enough...

Like I said I did the first lecture and I learned a lot I had forgot and felt pretty good about it. Even better than the physics I say. I bought the Nova book and have it but it seems like they go to far into it. To much you know what I mean. Like for 25 questions that huge freaking book is somewhat silly. I think it might be good for extra practice problems though and it is in passage format...

Let me know and time is a ticking.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. christian15213

Jul 28, 2006
    Miami
  4. corbis11

corbis11 10+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I bought the Nova physics along with my EK kit, too. It took me about a week and a half to go through the whole book and complete the problems. I took physics over the summer so a lot of the material from the first 9 chapters felt like I was relearning it, but this book really made it easy to do. I'm going to go through my EK physics book again pretty soon after I review the Nova book once more...hopefully that makes the EK physics book easier to comprehend than the first time around.

5. fisko82

fisko82 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2007
    MDApps:
    Hi there, so I did EK Physics, Nova Physics, and Kaplan physics and I must say, they all have their inadequacies. In my opinion, Kaplan gave the best "big picture" of what could be tested on the mcat with decent examples and explanations, however I felt Kaplan lacked quite a bit on conceptual topics, which really helps for the mcat. I think Kaplan would be best for someone who hadn't taken physics in awhile.

For EK Physics, I felt they gave great conceptual insights into problems, some of which I never received when taking the actual physics courses in college. However, some of the things that EK said wouldn't be on the exam, were in fact on the exam (I can't go into details without giving away specific questions, which I guess is a big no-no here). Also, I found myself wanting more questions to practice applying what I had learned to see if I really knew the material. I've always found the best way to know if you really understand the material is to apply it and answer questions rather than just memorize/reread text. So, I felt EK Physics was inadequate here in that they don't always give examples to some of the things they explain or they give examples, but there are only a few and the explanations sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

This is why I turned to Nova Physics for extra practice. By the time I got a hold of the Nova book, I had already gone through Kaplan and Exam Krackers, so I knew the material well and didn't bother reading any of the nova physics. Instead, I just solved the problems they had in there, which in my opinion, were pretty useful in testing my understanding of the material. For example, I felt EK Physics was lacking a bit in electromagnetism practice, nova physics had some great questions to test my understanding and reinforce key concepts. Nova physics also had useful proportion problems for pretty much every key formula tested that the mcat loves (e.g. if you increase X by 50% you decrease Y by what?). However, I did notice that of the 30 or so practice questions, about 5 or 6 would be a waste of time...they were either too detailed or required too much calculation (something not found on the mcat). You just have to recognize for yourself what is an "mcat-like problem" and solve those only, (e.g. don't waste your time solving the surface tension of a bubble or learning to trace light rays)

Also, I didn't bother with any of Nova Physics' passages. By this time I had taken so many AAMC mocks that the feel I got from Nova Physics' mocks was that they were quite unlike the AAMC exams and in my opinion, any mock that was not similar to AAMC's was not worth taking at that point.

So, sorry for the long winded report, but, hopefully it provides some use. I used EK Physics for concepts, and used Nova Physics to help reinforce topics that I was weak on solving problems only. Some of the text in Nova Physics seemed wasteful to read and I think EK did a good enough job on it. And as mentioned, some of the Nova Physics questions required way too much detail to be tested on the mcat, but those questions were few and pretty obvious. I'm not sure how I did on the mcat, but my physical science scores were usually 13s or 14s on AAMC tests and I think using both EK and Nova helped. Verbal, on the other hand....not so much :laugh:

6. christian15213

Jul 28, 2006
    Miami
    PERFECT... I totally agree... I had the exact feeling VER BATIM about EK vs. NOVA physics. I feel that EK is more to the point of what will be on the MCAT and nova has extra problems that will reinforce ideas.

couple questions for ya... What did you get in PS section of MCAT and would you say the best way to do the physics is to do a section and then run through some problems with NOVA or just finish EK and then do problems with NOVA?

Thanks for your response... it helps so much.