EK question about glycolysis/glucose stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yestomeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey my question is: why would an increase of glucose (you ate a ton of candy) lead to an increase in venous CO2 concentrations?

i.e. increase glucose... so increase in pyruvate... and so an increase in CO2 (in venous blood) as well.

If you're having difficulty seeing what I mean, this is from an older EK bio passages book.
Passage 108, question 65. (Answer C). Thank you. :)

Oh, I also don't get why it'd up the synthesis of nonessential aa's like alanine :(.

Members don't see this ad.

eat lot of candy --> increased blood glucose --> increased insulin = increased cellular absorption of glucose and increased glycolysis --> increased concentration of TCA cycle intermediates (choice A) --> increased overall aerobic respiration = increased CO2 release (opposite of chioce C)
excess TCA cycle intermediates --> these will be siphoned off for anabolic reactions like amino acid, fatty acid, nucleotide biosynthesis (choice D)
if you have excesss pyruvate and not enough NADH, then lactic fermentation will happen and cause acidosis (chioce B)

Reactions: 1 users