EK verbal 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly1346

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been doing the passages from this book, so far I've done most of the exam 1 passages, and I seem to be getting 2-3 wrong every passage, sometimes even when I was quite confident about the answer choice, the answer choice they explain seems totally weird

What do you guys recommend, I was doing better when I was using the kaplan book, all of a sudden just lost hope, I'm taking the exam at the end of may if you guys are wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is horrible for verbal. That is by far Kaplan's weakest section. Have you tried reading the numerous verbal help threads in the MCAT FAQ? I suggest Vihsadas's verbal guide.

EK 's verbal thing is magical, if you score a 10 there, you score a 10 on the real deal. Kaplan's, ummm, works, but not as effective as EK. EK raised my score from a 6-11 in 4 weeks.

Hi guys,
I've been doing the passages from this book, so far I've done most of the exam 1 passages, and I seem to be getting 2-3 wrong every passage, sometimes even when I was quite confident about the answer choice, the answer choice they explain seems totally weird

What do you guys recommend, I was doing better when I was using the kaplan book, all of a sudden just lost hope, I'm taking the exam at the end of may if you guys are wondering

You're right. In my opinion, the explanations in the EK 101 book are very poor. Often, it seems to me that passage information either contradicts the right answer or supports a wrong answer. Some of the answer choices are also very ambiguous; if your train of thought is different from the testwriter's, you miss the question. Also, it seems like more than one answer could be correct on several questions.

My advice: just stick with it and trust the system. I keep telling myself that regardless of my scores on the tests, the practice will pay off in the long run.

By the way, I will never forgive them for reprinting the first edition and calling it the second edition. That's a very cheap, dishonest way of doing business. I think Orsay's a shyster

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I was going to buy the second edition in addition to the first edition so I would have extra practice ...but luckily I called and was told they were the same passages just formated for 60 min instead of 85min. So the I ask did you at least update your sometime bogus answer explainations?!? Again, no :(

EK sucks....take it with a grain of salt. Just do as many passages and questions as possible, get your rhythm down and keep plugging away.

Honestly doesn't matter what your scores are, unless you've done 20+ and they're all under 10. Then you have problems.

I am retaking the MCAT due to a low score in verbal. Now, I have seen significant improvement to my verbal score through doing all of Kaplan's Section Verbal Tests that are offered on the online portion. I have also started doing EKs 101 Verbal and I have taken 3 tests...here are my results
EK1-7 (25 right)
EK2-8 (26 right)
EK3-10 (30 right)

With kaplan I feel as though I was getting an average of 26 right out of the 20 verbal sections tests I have already taken. I scored above 27 about half the time. And looking at the score conversion charts...I was in the range of 9-11 most of the time.

I thought I had been prepared for the verbal portion when taking the MCAT the first time around. But boy was I wrong. I nearly left two passages blank due to running out of time. I believe the verbal portion was extremely difficult in comparison to the Kaplans. But at the same time, I believe I could have easily have done better if I had paced myself. Taking nearly 25 verbal section tests (one every day), has undoubtably made my life much easier with verbal and a consistentcy has been showing.

So rule of thumb....keep taking passages (TIMED of course) and do yourself a favor make
#1 finishing the exam on time
#2 trying not to refer back to passage after having read once
#3 keep taking exams everyday