First off, first time poster here. I took the June 18th MCAT and got a 35 (15-10-10) but am retaking under the advice of my PI that schools like Harvard and Hopkins like higher biological scores. So, Im taking the beast again on Sept. 3rd.

Anyway, the first time through studying I just read the EKs and did the AAMC practice tests. This time however Im going thru EKs 1001/101 series (which I think is great). However, after getting a 26/40 and 27/40 on the first two tests, I got a 39/40 on the third. Seems strange....anyone else experience this or am possibly finally breaking thru in verbal..haha please be the latter.

OP
D

DRIN

First off, first time poster here. I took the June 18th MCAT and got a 35 (15-10-10) but am retaking under the advice of my PI that schools like Harvard and Hopkins like higher biological scores. So, Im taking the beast again on Sept. 3rd.

Anyway, the first time through studying I just read the EKs and did the AAMC practice tests. This time however Im going thru EKs 1001/101 series (which I think is great). However, after getting a 26/40 and 27/40 on the first two tests, I got a 39/40 on the third. Seems strange....anyone else experience this or am possibly finally breaking thru in verbal..haha please be the latter.
What if you drop in your other sections because you chose to retake? I would never retake a 35 with all my scores being 10 and higher...but that's me. Anyway, I think the EK verbal 101 stuff is right on par with the difficulty of questions, but the passages do seem to be about a paragraph shorter. My real VR scaled score on EK averaged what I got on the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I did horrible on the verbal on the 6/18 MCAT and it totally brought my composite down. I just got the 101 EK verbal book..do you think this is a legit study tool? My big issue is timining, i have trouble getting enough time for that last passage.

Hemichordate

Peds
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you retake, you have to get like 3 or 4 points above your previous test. If you increase only 1 point, that looks kind of bad.

OP

yea, I think if you are having trouble finishing then the best thing you can do is more passages. I have gone from just barely finishing on time to having 10+ minutes each time. The more you practice the better you get at recognizing bad answer choice, and you'll speed up a lot.

People questioning my retake: I realize the risk. In my opinion, it is worth taking. Besides, I scored below my AAMC average on both biological and verbal. It is likely I wont repeat a 15 on PS, but I am ok with that

Jun 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
yea, I think if you are having trouble finishing then the best thing you can do is more passages. I have gone from just barely finishing on time to having 10+ minutes each time. The more you practice the better you get at recognizing bad answer choice, and you'll speed up a lot.

People questioning my retake: I realize the risk. In my opinion, it is worth taking. Besides, I scored below my AAMC average on both biological and verbal. It is likely I wont repeat a 15 on PS, but I am ok with that
That is one pimpin PS score! how did you prepare? did you happen to use EK 1001 Physics and Chem?

OP

Honestly, I spent most of my time studying for BS. Im a Chemical engineering major, and I thought I got a generous section. Add some luck and I got a pretty good score, I have been looking thru the EK 1001 stuff for chemistry and physics, and I think it is worth it. If you have already been thru the content, then the repition is the best thing you can do. Just my opinion tho.