EK Verbal 101

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post on SDN

I have been doing the EK Verbal 101. So far I have done four 1 HR tests under timed conditions with no prior practice. My test scores are:
10, 8, 11, 11.

Are these good scores to start out with? I'm not sure how the difficulty of these passages compares to the real MCAT. Usually when I review the answers, I almost always understand why I got the question wrong. I have about 4 more months of studying hardcore until I take the MCAT with a lot of time devoted just to verbal and I am wondering if I should expect to see some score increases if I keep working at these passages. Have people seen major improvement or just pretty much consistent scores regardless of practice.

In addition to EK, I have the Berkeley Review Verbal book.

Members don't see this ad.

First post on SDN

I have been doing the EK Verbal 101. So far I have done four 1 HR tests under timed conditions with no prior practice. My test scores are:
10, 8, 11, 11.

Are these good scores to start out with? I'm not sure how the difficulty of these passages compares to the real MCAT. Usually when I review the answers, I almost always understand why I got the question wrong. I have about 4 more months of studying hardcore until I take the MCAT with a lot of time devoted just to verbal and I am wondering if I should expect to see some score increases if I keep working at these passages. Have people seen major improvement or just pretty much consistent scores regardless of practice.

In addition to EK, I have the Berkeley Review Verbal book.

Check out the search function to compare your scores to others. I think there's a thread about EK 101 progress.

On a different note, if you have 4 months before your MCAT you might want to slow down and save your best verbal material (EK 101 included) for the end. If you front-load your verbal prep you'll be left with less desirable practice towards the end.

Traditionally, verbal is the hardest section to improve drastically. Theories abound but it comes down to one's innate ability to read critically, IMO.

Good luck :thumbup: