EK Verbal from 101 book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer#1

I'm ok, your ok!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm curious, what kind of progress have you seen using the 101 book of EK and following thier verbal strategies and practice advice? Specifically, I have noticed i'm getting better but at the same time it seems that the questions are getting trickier...I say this from test #3 which seemed trickier in the explanation to answers than the first two tests...I dropped a point in total score? Anyone else have reflective views on EK verbal tests? How do you suppose they compare to the AAMC ones?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

as i said elsewhere, I think EK's stuff are harder. Try taking the 30 minutes end of lecture exam and compare it to the materials ont the AAMC's. Ouch.

I have only taken 1 exam from EK's 101 book. on the VR section, I got 11 on 3R, 12 on 4R, and 11 on 5R (damn, 1 question from a 12 in that one!) On the EK, I got a 10.

bigdreamer#1 said:
Hey all,

I'm curious, what kind of progress have you seen using the 101 book of EK and following thier verbal strategies and practice advice? Specifically, I have noticed i'm getting better but at the same time it seems that the questions are getting trickier...I say this from test #3 which seemed trickier in the explanation to answers than the first two tests...I dropped a point in total score? Anyone else have reflective views on EK verbal tests? How do you suppose they compare to the AAMC ones?

Thanks

the search function will really help you with this question--lots of threads on this topic. i seem to be the only one with some fundamental problems with EK 101. go here to see my thread on the topic. however, it does seem to be the best out there with respect to accuracy of format--very difficult, though.

I too haven't improved with the EK 101. I've taken 8 of their tests and evaluated the answers extensively after each but have been getting the exact same score in the last 6.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're getting 10s on EK101, you're money on the real exam (11+). the EK exams are mostly for timing and practicing your verbal strategy. dont be let down if you're not scoring crazy high because the verbal section is all abotu confidence.

I wish this was true for me.......but I'm actually scoring 1 point higher than what I scored on the april's MCAT. That's an improvement!!!!

I took my 3rd EK verbal 101 exam yesterday...the results are at a stalemate.

V-1 - 9
V-2 - 9
V-3 - 9

Heh...it's still better than what I got on the 2003 August Mcat.
On the third one I wasted so much time on trying to read and understand that stupid wood construction passage and the einstein passage that I had to skip both of those and put D. Hopefully from the posts above I am thinking that on the real thing I got a 50:50 chance of cracking a 10.

Also, does anyone have any strategies for thoe "weaken" and "strengthen" type questions? Those are the one I seem to be getting wrong the most.
Thanks is advance.

keep at it
I started off at 7 on EK 101, moved up to 8, and stuck at 9, made a 10 only once.

got a 10 on 3R and 11 on 5R and 6R
ended up with 10 on real thing last yr

is the 101 question book different from the other verbal book? I bought a set off of e-bay and I am not sure if that book was supposed to be included with that one or not. I'll check when I get home. By the way are all of the subjects supposed to come with 101 question series?

misanne said:
is the 101 question book different from the other verbal book? I bought a set off of e-bay and I am not sure if that book was supposed to be included with that one or not. I'll check when I get home. By the way are all of the subjects supposed to come with 101 question series?
The techniques and strategy are def worth looking at in the other book. It shows you how to approach the test more efficiently and effectively. BTW, the strategies are way different than Kaplan or PR which worked better for me. It will show you how to improve.

but where do get the book to practice with. I thought that this was the book for that now I am finding out there is a book specifically for verbal practicing only seperate form the instructional book. I am really glad the book is out there, but it sucks that I don't have it, and I have already hashed out my duckets on Kaplan prep and ek books that Ii am now finding out ws not the complete set...oh well now I am contemplation wether it is worth is to go searching for this ek verbal book. I think it is but man I really don't want to go in the whole just buying stuff to study.

Thanks the book there is 40 bucks plus tax, how much was your at barnes and nobel??

lotanna said:
keep at it
I started off at 7 on EK 101, moved up to 8, and stuck at 9, made a 10 only once.

got a 10 on 3R and 11 on 5R and 6R
ended up with 10 on real thing last yr

Thanks for the encouragement (hopefully it was for me :D ).

does any one know where I can go to but ek books cheaper than what they are listed on the ek page??? looking for 101 verbal and biology

misanne said:
does any one know where I can go to but ek books cheaper than what they are listed on the ek page??? looking for 101 verbal and biology

I got mine from www.overstock.com a week ago. It's cheaper than Amazon, EK or Barnes and Nobles but they run out really fast so hurry!!!!!!