EK Verbal Reasoning #34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone feel the explanation/answer for this question is weird?

Why is II right and III wrong?

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

The author implies that which of the following is not one of the reasons...

The author never says anything about additional resources. Only the first two are even considered. (I) IS a reason, and (II) is NOT a reason. Since (III) is never mentioned or implied, II is the only reason that the author implied was not correct. So B is the right answer.

If the question read the author implies that all of the following are reasons that... EXCEPT:

Then D would be the best answer, since only (I) is implied as being a correct reason.

I hope that made sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. But isn't the sentence "Traditionally, these two countries might have been attempting to secure their borders from invading countries, or even seeking to expand their own territories and acquire additional resources. However..."

It seems to me that II (expand borders) and III (acquire additional resources) are in the same boat.

Also, I don't get why in their explanation, they made a big distinction between asking the question "The author implies that which of the following is not one of the reasons that Peruvian President Fujimori deployed soldiers to its borders with Columbia?" and "The author implies that Peruvian President Fujimori deployed soldiers to its borders with COlumbia for all of the following reasons EXCEPT...". I don't see any distinction at all.

THanks so much btw!

Thanks for your reply. But isn't the sentence "Traditionally, these two countries might have been attempting to secure their borders from invading countries, or even seeking to expand their own territories and acquire additional resources. However..."

It seems to me that II (expand borders) and III (acquire additional resources) are in the same boat.

Also, I don't get why in their explanation, they made a big distinction between asking the question "The author implies that which of the following is not one of the reasons that Peruvian President Fujimori deployed soldiers to its borders with Columbia?" and "The author implies that Peruvian President Fujimori deployed soldiers to its borders with COlumbia for all of the following reasons EXCEPT...". I don't see any distinction at all.

THanks so much btw!

I'm wondering the same thing too. Could someone answer this question?

I absolutely agree that there is something wrong with this answer. No matter which way I look at it, no matter how many times I read it, if answer 2 is not one of the reasons, then 3 mustn't be either!:mad:

I'm glad I'm not the only one cause I thought I was losing it for a while there!:scared::laugh:

Hey guys,

did anybody understand the distinction they are making between the "except" and "not one of the reasons"

Thanks,
Shubdeep Rahil