aye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2002
baltimore
Visit site
Status
Hey all. i'm referring to the advice they talk about in chapter 4 where, after taking a verbal exam, wait a day and then go thru each used passage and write down the main idea for each paragraph, and combine all the main ideas for the MAIN main idea. is anyone actually doing that or just taking the tests?? if you are doing, can you see any actual improvements in your score?? thanks!

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It was a huge pain, but I forced myself to do it for 6 weeks. My scores increased from consistent 7s to consistent 10s and 11s. Good luck! :luck:

aye said:
Hey all. i'm referring to the advice they talk about in chapter 4 where, after taking a verbal exam, wait a day and then go thru each used passage and write down the main idea for each paragraph, and combine all the main ideas for the MAIN main idea. is anyone actually doing that or just taking the tests?? if you are doing, can you see any actual improvements in your score?? thanks!

stoleyerscrubz

Registered User and Stuff
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
NY
Status
Medical Student
I keep asking around if anyone is doing this and can't get any replies.

The EK method is to read the WHOLE passage and then write down the main idea. EK says no underlining or note taking as you read the passage.

What I have been doing before seeing the answers is wait 2 days and then redoing the passages that I got 2 or more wrong on and doing them without time constraints. I just don't have the time or patience to do the WHOLE thing over.

aye said:

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
stoleyerscrubz, I agree with the EK strategy of no underlining/note-taking. Underlining was killing my verbal score. Seriously. Science majors will understand what I mean when I say that I underlined EVERYTHING. It's because I was so used to having to memorize tiny little details. It was a hard habit to break for the MCAT (heck, I still underline everything when reading for my science classes, haha).

I think you might be doing the "main idea" exercise too soon after your first attempt at the passage, which might cause some bias in your answers. I had roughly a two week interval between my first and second attempts each passage. Good luck.

Jamaican MD

G.I.T.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Can anyone just elaborate on the EK verbal strategies (or briefly list them if you have time)? Many thanks. :D